Welcome to the 102nd edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Note from our CEO, Jeff Robinson: “Nice to see some stores opening up bit by bit here in Cape Town and the rest of the world. Baby steps will work. We’re getting there!” ??
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- Russian PM Mishustin tests positive for virus Coronavirus.
- Joe Biden denies sexually assaulting staff assistant Tara Reade.
- Hong Kong facing greater financial crisis than in 2008 or late 1990s warns city’s finance chief. ?
- “Holy God. We’re about to lose everything” – Pandemic crushes overleveraged Airbnb Superhosts. ?
- Premiums will soar as insurers face record payouts for cancelled, postponed events like Tokyo Olympics and Wimbledon.
- Hong Kong’s business elite are cashing in their luxury villas at a loss as they brace for the city’s worst economic recession.
- Kanye West is officially a billionaire. ?
- How Las Vegas became Ground Zero for the American jobs crisis.
- Richard Phillips survived the longest wrongful prison sentence in American history.
- Inside the nightmare voyage of the Diamond Princess. ?
- The theorem that applies to everything from search algorithms to epidemiology.
- Google’s top quantum scientist explains in detail why he resigned.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Nearly all NYC-area COVID-19 hospitalizations had comorbidities.
- Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare: Hope, hype, promise and peril.
- Here’s some good news about the coffee you’re drinking and your health. ☕
- FDA clears Gilead’s emergency coronavirus treatment remdesivir.
- Do some expensive cancer medicines have a higher benefit than those drugs with lower prices? ?
- Manipulating rodent memories can elucidate neurological function.?
- Scientists unveil how general anesthesia works.
- COVID-19 deaths are being linked to Vitamin D deficiency.
CANNABIS & MUSHROOMS
- Cannabidiol could be a useful therapy for difficult-to-treat brain cancer. ?
- Compass raises $80M to take magic mushroom drug toward phase 3.
- Can psychedelics treat climate grief?
- Psychedelic mushrooms for depression: Controlled trip could change things.
- Constellation Brands injects C$245 million into Canopy Growth by exercising expiring warrants.
- Spanish prime minister clears way for return to La Liga training at start of May. ⚽
- Project Restart: Premier League ramps up plans for resuming season.
- Formula 1 plans to start season in Austria as French GP called off. ?
- Tulane guard Teshaun Hightower charged with murder in Georgia. ?
- After helping the Chiefs to a Super Bowl victory, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is putting his doctorate in medicine to use. ?
- NASCAR will return to action at Darlington Raceway on May 17.
We recommend The Palm Group:
The Palm Group are experts in Palm Beach real estate and can help find your dream home in the sun. See more here. ??
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Saudi Arabia buys $500 million stake in Live Nation.
- China’s Luckin Coffee founder is $1 billion poorer after company announces fraud investigation.
- American Airlines tumbles as Evercore ISI cuts price target to $1.
- Tesla plunges 13% after Elon Musk says stock price is ‘too high’.
- Warren Buffett: ‘American magic’ will overcome coronavirus.
- The S&P 500 experienced a 13% gain in April, its best month since January 1987, and the best April since the Great Depression.? (as we say so very often at IBR, buy when there is panic in the streets)
Weekly Market Movement Wrap
- U.S. Indices
Dow -0.2% to 23,724. S&P 500 -0.2% to 2,831. Nasdaq -0.3% to 8,605. Russell 2000 +2.% to 1,257. CBOE Volatility Index +3.5% to 37.19.
- S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples -0.8%. Utilities -1.9%. Financials +4.8%. Telecom +3.7%. Healthcare -0.6%. Industrials +4.3%. Information Technology +3.2%. Materials +4.2%. Energy +9.5%. Consumer Discretionary +3.7%.
- World Indices
London +0.2% to 5,763. France +4.1% to 4,572. Germany +5.1% to 10,862. Japan +1.9% to 19,619. China +1.8% to 2,860. Hong Kong +3.4% to 24,644. India +7.6% to 33,718.
- Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI +16.3% to $19.71/bbl. Gold -1.6% to $1,708.2/oz. Natural Gas +7.7% to 1.885. Ten-Year Treasury Yield -0.1% to 139.01.
- Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD +1.43%. USD/JPY -0.56%. GBP/USD +1.03%. Bitcoin +16.2%. Litecoin +4.9%. Ethereum +11.5%. Ripple +11.3%.
- Top Stock Gainers
Creative Realities (OTC:CREX) +266%.
Capricor Therapeutics (NASDAQ:CAPR) +192%.
Mohawk Group Holdings (NASDAQ:MWK) +100%.
Midatech Pharma (NASDAQ:MTP) +93%.
Neonode (NASDAQ:NEON) +86%.
- Top Stock Losers
Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK) -63%.
Blue Apron Holdings (NYSE:APRN) -39%.
Verona Pharma (NASDAQ:VRNA) -36%.
Pluristem Therapeutics (NASDAQ:PSTI) -32%.
Mesoblast (NASDAQ:MESO) -31%.
? Stocks On Our Radar:
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical (NYSE: BHVN)
- AgeX (NYSE:AGE)
- City View Green Holdings Inc. (CSE: CVGR) – Press release, closes asset purchase and private placement.
- FlooidCX Corp (OTC: FLCX)
- Portage Biotech (OTC: PTGEF)
- Therma Bright Inc. (TSXV: THRM)
- Wuhan General Group (OTC: WUHN)
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- Challenges are what make life interesting, and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful. – Joshua J. Marine
? Word Of The Week:
- Exacerbate transitive verb. To make more violent, bitter, or severe; to irritate or make worse. “The continued delays were greatly exacerbated by the lack of workers on the project.”
❔ Did You Know:
- Canada has the world’s longest coastline ?
If you walked and never stopped — not to eat, not to rest your feet, not to get some sleep — it would take you four-and-a-half years to walk the length of Canada’s coastline. While it might not conjure up images of blue waters and white sandy beaches, Canada has the world’s longest coastline, bordered on three sides by three different oceans: the Atlantic, Arctic and Pacific. To put that fascinating fact about Canada in perspective, that accounts for 202,080 of the world’s total 356,000 kilometres of oceanfront property. The only other country that even comes close is Indonesia, which has 54,716 km of coastline.
? A Must Watch & Listen:
- The museum may be closed, we’ll bring Vincent van Gogh to you. (Blown away by this)
- A relaxing walk through the cherry blossoms at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.
- Master in Business: Barry interviews Jim Chanos, famed short seller and founder of Kynikos Associates. Chanos helped to expose a number of financial frauds, most famously Enron, Baldwin-United, and Drexel Burnham. (One smart guy)
? Books We Are Reading:
- Thinking, Fast and Slow – Daniel Kahneman
- Factfulness –
- Black Box Thinking – Matthew Syed
- The Art of Thinking Clearly – Rolf Dobelli
- Critical Thinking: Your Guide to Effective Argument, Successful Analysis and Independent Study – Tom Chatfield
? One Liners:
- Q: What’s the difference between a lawyer and a herd of buffalo?
- A: The lawyer charges more.
? Upcoming Events:
- Have an event, conference or announcement you would like to promote? This space could be yours!
- Reach out: email@example.com
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! ?
The IBR Team