Welcome to the 146th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Markets continue to rise to record levels. Zero fear in almost all asset classes is ludicrous.
Here’s a shortlist of the content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
🤔 Interesting Articles & News:
- Tensions rise and relations chill as the US sanctions Russia over cyber-attacks.
- The EU failed to punish China for fiddling with Hong Kong’s electoral systems.
- Cowardly CEOs’ woke political activism is a PR gimmick.
- What exactly is an NFT? What makes them so valuable? And what might the future hold for these digital assets?🤔
- As the housing supply hits a record low, is there anything left to buy?🏠
- Einhorn: “The market is fractured and in the process of breaking completely”.
- Akon: Why crypto could transform Africa’s future.
- Is Larry Kudlow Fox enough for Fox Business?
- Stock market leverage in La-La Land, rises to historic WTF high.📈
- The old Japanese art of wood joinery or Tsugite now developed into software. 🇯🇵
- Plan your vacation at the upcoming Sea place resort, a sustainable floating resort. 🏝
- Ai Weiwei, the unsung activist artist of China.
- The key to boosting employee morale: a simple 2 line ‘thank you’ letter (Send it now!) 📬
- “It’s not about you, it’s about your people” : Leadership advice by Prince Philip.
- Rebuilding Notre Dame cathedral – with 1,000 oak trees. 🌳
- BBC diversity chief says Idris Elba’s TV detective Luther ‘isn’t black enough to be real’ because ‘he doesn’t have any black friends and doesn’t eat any Caribbean food’.
- 60s Psychedelic Posters: Why this visual language speaks to us.
- Fuel Gems is making fuel additives to make gasoline cars as efficient as electric cars. ⛽️
- New Ipads and Airtags to launch at Apple’s new product event.
- Cryptocurrency exchange, Coinbase, goes public with a $100 billion valuation.
- Microsoft acquires Nuance, an AI company for $19.7 billion.
- Joint venture of LG and Magna, close to getting the contract for Apple car production.
- IRS chief’s numbers for uncollected tax go far beyond the estimated $414 billion.
- Neuralink may begin human trials in 2021. 🧠
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Treating sleep apnea may reduce dementia risk.
- New research shows South Africa’s levy on sugar-sweetened drinks is having an impact. 🇿🇦
- Mexico’s war on obesity sends global junk-food & sugary-drink giants scrambling.
- Periodontitis tied to higher blood pressure in otherwise healthy individuals.
- Facebook claims to have developed first AI model capable of predicting the effects of drug combinations, dosages, and timing.
- Study sheds new light on how the brain regulates hunger. The findings may help with the development of new drugs to fight obesity.
- Scientists figure out two new ways to root out false memories.
- Relay Therapeutics pays $85M for startup with a new AI tech for drug discovery.
- Study identifies another reason to add mushrooms to American diet.
- Coffee could be the secret weapon against NAFLD.☕
CANNABIS & PSYCHEDELICS
- Toad venom to treat depression? RA Capital wagers $125M on the latest psychedelic biotech.
- Peter Thiel-backed firm takes a majority stake in a brain-computer interface start-up.
- UFC fighter Sasha Palatnikov discusses his cannabis and psilocybin use. 🥊
- Psychedelic experience may not be required for psilocybin’s antidepressant-like benefits.
- Psilocybin: Magic mushroom compound ‘promising’ for depression.🍄
- CBD helps with anxiety, says new study.
- Magic Mushroom’ Psilocybin as good as antidepressants.
- Study suggests psychedelics are linked to better physical health.
- Quarterback Josh Dobbs, retained by the Steelers for another year. 🏈
- Jadeveon Clowney finds a new NFL home with the Cleveland Browns.
- All forehand and no backhand, for young tennis star Teodor Davidov.
- Top Indian cricket umpires to receive more than domestic cricketers. 🏏
- David Beckham now to mentor young footballers in Disney+ new series. ⚽️
- When COVID canceled live events, Ironman built the next best thing virtually.
💲 Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Dogecoin (XDG) hit an all-time high of $0.44, reaching a market cap of $44B. Originally created in 2013 as a meme to mock the overabundance of altcoins, the value of Dogecoin has skyrocketed 534% week-over-week, and 19,390% year-over-year.
- Bitcoin price falls $8K to 3-week low, Altcoins crash.
- The highly-anticipated Aphria (NASDAQ:APHA)-Tilray (NASDAQ:TLRY) merger is expected to close on April 20.
Economic reports due out next week include the latest updates on existing home sales, new home sales, jobless claims and PMI. Big earnings reports blast in every day next week across sectors. Of note, the follow-up conference calls from Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO), Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) and Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) could be on the interesting side. On the vaccine front, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices is expected to meet late next week to consider recommendations for Johnson & Johnson’s (NYSE:JNJ) shot, which has been linked to rare blood clots in the brain.
Earnings season heats up in a big way with reports due in from Coca-Cola (KO), IBM (NYSE:IBM) and United Airlines (NASDAQ:UAL) on April 19; Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG), Philip Morris International (NYSE:PM), Abbott Labs (NYSE:ABT) and Netflix (NFLX) on April 20; Anthem (NYSE:ANTM), Verizon (NYSE:VZ), Chipotle (NYSE:CMG) and Lam Research (NASDAQ:LRCX) on April 21; AT&T (NYSE:T), Dow (NYSE:DOW), Intel (INTC), Seagate Tech (NASDAQ:STX) and Mattel (NASDAQ:MAT) on April 22; as well as American Express (NYSE:AXP) and Honeywell (NYSE:HON) on April 23.
IPOs expected to start trading this week:
IPOs expected to start trading during the week include UiPAth (PATH), DoubleVerify (DV) and NeuroPace (NPCE) on April 20, as well as Zymergern (ZY) and KnowBe4 (KNBE) on April 22. IPO lockup periods expire on Datto Holding (NYSE:MSP), Topaz Energy (NYSE:TPZ), McAfee (NASDAQ:MCFE), Guild Holdings (NYSE:GHLD), Foghorn Therapeutics (NASDAQ:FHTX) and ComSovereign Holding (NASDAQ:COMS). The analyst quiet period expires on ThredUp (NASDAQ:TDUP) on April 20 to free up analysts to post ratings. Shares of Trip.com (NASDAQ:TRIP) will begin trading in Hong Kong next week following a new listing.
What Moved The Markets Last Week:
Dow +1.2% to 34,201. S&P 500 +1.4% to 4,185. Nasdaq +1.1% to 14,052. Russell 2000 +1.0% to 2,266. CBOE Volatility Index -2.6% to 16.25.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples +1.3%. Utilities +3.7%. Financials +0.7%. Telecom 0.1%. Healthcare +2.9%. Industrials +0.6%. Information Technology +1.1%. Materials +3.2%. Energy +0.2%. Consumer Discretionary +2.%.
London +1.5% to 7,020. France +1.9% to 6,287. Germany +1.5% to 15,460. Japan -0.3% to 29,683. China -0.7% to 3,427. Hong Kong +1.1% to 29,009. India -1.5% to 48,832.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI +6.3% to $63.08/bbl. Gold +1.9% to $1,776.9/oz. Natural Gas +6.3% to 2.686. Ten-Year Treasury Yield +0.4% to 132.3.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD +0.76%. USD/JPY -0.77%. GBP/USD +0.96%. Bitcoin +3.9%. Litecoin +25.6%. Ethereum +16.7%. Ripple +18.4%.
Top Stock Gainers
China Green Agriculture (NYSE:CGA) +69%. Ballantyne Strong (NYSEMKT:BTN) +63%. General Finance (NASDAQ:GFN) +62%. Mackinac Financial (NASDAQ:MFNC) +54%. PLBY Group (NASDAQ:PLBY) +49%.
Top Stock Losers
Tian Ruixiang Holdings (NASDAQ:TIRX) -82%. GreenBox POS (NASDAQ:GBOX) -40%. KLX Energy Services Holdings (NASDAQ:KLXE) -40%. Sequential Brands (NASDAQ:SQBG) -38%. Briacell Therapeutics (NASDAQ:BCTX) -37%.
🎯 Stocks On Our Radar:
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical (NYSE: BHVN) (moving up nicely again) 📈
- AgeX (NYSE: AGE) (so attractive at these levels)📈
- Portage Biotech (NASDAQ: PRTG) (so much great science on the go)📈 – very bullish.
- Wuhan General Group (OTC: WUHN) (news here – the stock has formed an incredible new base from which to have a very significant pop)📈
- Agronomics Ltd (LON: ANIC) (continues to impress, great sector)📈
- Regent Pacific Group Ltd. (HKG: 0575) (looks solid and ready for a move upward)
- ThreeD Capital Inc. (IDK.CN) (OTC: IDKFF) (after a huge run-up, a consolidation, it’s ready for the next big leg up)📈
🏆 Quotes That Inspire Us:
”By working faithfully eight hours a day you may eventually get to be boss and work twelve hours a day.” – Robert Frost
📖 Word Of The Week:
Placate (pla·cate) verb To appease or pacify; make (someone) less angry or hostile. “The customer service representative tried to placate the dissatisfied customer.”
❔ Did You Know:
Mosquitos have 47 teeth. 🦟
The human nose can remember 50,000 different scents. 👃
Bullfrogs do not sleep. 🐸
A snail breathes through its foot. 🐌
📚 Books We Are Reading:
- The Real Business of Blockchain by David Furlonger & Christophe Uzureau
- The Connector Manager: Why Some Leaders Build Exceptional Talent – and Others Don’t by Jaime Roca and Sari Wilde
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation by Tim Brown
- Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations by Dan Ariely
📽 A Must Watch & Listen:
Jennifer Davis and Vishaal Rana discuss at Goldman Sachs briefing the fate of brick-and-mortar retail locations and why the seamless omnichannel experience is the future of consumer retail.
Jimmy Lai is the billionaire owner of Hong Kong’s last opposition newspaper, Apple Daily, and an outspoken critic of Beijing. Now sentenced to prison. Here’s his last interview as a free man.
Fadi Abuali, CEO of Goldman Sachs Asset Management International, explains the four megatrends in the retail investing space.
📆 Upcoming Events:
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! 💪
The IBR Team
All content provided by Internet Bull Report is for informational and educational purposes only and is not meant to represent trade or investment recommendations.