Welcome to the 16th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
💡 Interesting Articles & News:
- U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Thursday sought to speed up the deportation of illegal immigrants, telling immigration judges they should only postpone cases in removal proceedings “for good cause shown.”
- Cubans cheer as internet goes nationwide for a day.
- This is the future of Blockchain, according to the CEO of the world’s biggest crypto company.
- Greek economy still treading water, uphill battle remains.
- The SEC just subpoenaed Elon Musk over his Tesla tweets.
- Monsanto’s Court Ruling Marks a Turning Point for Cancer-Causing WeedKiller Roundup.
- This is what it really looks like to “change the world” – Apple ($AAPL) is worth one trillion dollars.
- The wild inner workings of a billion-dollar hacking group – The Fin7.
- OpenAI’s robotic hand learned to make precise, human-like movements.
- Robot powered coffee chain Ratio is challenging Starbucks across China.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Bioengineers are closer than ever to lab-grown lungs.
- A tiny tweak to sugar is about to make the world’s sweets a lot healthier.
- Researchers have painstakingly assembled an eight-generation family tree to aid their search for ALS genes.
- Face Transplant – By National Geographic. (Some may find the story and images disturbing)
- The al-Qaida leader’s mother speaks for the first time. Nearly 17 years since 9/11, Osama bin Laden’s family remains a reminder of the darkest moment in the kingdom’s history.
- Aretha Franklin, indomitable ‘Queen of Soul,’ dies at 76. (more)
- A new study of the tools used to create Easter Island’s giant statues hints at a society in which people collaborated and shared information.
- The remarkable Madonna turns 60.
- Tennis superstar Serena Williams says she found out her sister’s killer had been released from prison minutes before her loss to Johanna Konta last month.
- Spanish two-time world champion Fernando Alonso has announced he is to retire from Formula 1 at the end of the season.
- Broncos’ John Elway: Colin Kaepernick ‘had his chance to be here‘ and ‘passed’ on contract.
📈 Noteworthy Stocks and Assets:
- Constellation Brands ($STZ) invests $4 Billion US into Canadian marijuana producer Canopy Growth ($CGC).
- U.S. stocks rallied Friday, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average closing at its highest since February (25,669) as optimism that the U.S. and China will eventually resolve their trade standoff offset fears about Turkey’s currency crisis.
- Tesla Inc. ($TSLA) shares slumped 8.9% to close at $305.50 after Elon Musk told the New York Times the past year had been “excruciating” and “the most difficult and painful” of his career.
💬 Quotes That Inspire Us:
“It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.” – Henry David Thoreau
“Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
🔠 Word Of The Week:
- Zenith – Noun: The point above the observer directly opposite the nadir.
❔ Did You Know:
- Fact: It’s possible to lead a cow up stairs but not down.
- On this day in history: August 20, 1866, President Andrew Johnson formally declared the US Civil War over.
👓 A Must Watch & Listen:
- Warren Buffett’s first television interview – Discussing timeless investment principles.
- Why Augmented Reality is the next big innovation in mapping.
- Paul Vigna, reporter for the Wall Street Journal and author of several books about Crypto and Blockchain. (Excellent listen!)
📚 Books We Are Reading:
- “The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History” –By John M. Barry
This fascinating book explores the impact of the historic flu pandemic of 1918, which killed at least 50 million people worldwide.
- ”The Truth Machine: The Blockchain and the Future of Everything” –By Paul Vigna and Michael Casey
🐦 Eye-Catching Tweet:
- @KentWGraham: How come I need a complex, indecipherable password to get on Twitter but only a 4-digit number to remove all my money from an ATM?
Our very best wishes for a rewarding upcoming week! 🍀
The IBR Team: David, Jeff and Dr. Anna
P.S. Summer is here and that means peak travel season. Earn extra bucks and meet new people by listing your place on Airbnb.
P.P.S. Have you thought of starting your very own newsletter? Try Revue for free for 30 days by signing up here.