Welcome to the 17th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
💡 Interesting Articles & News:
- Legal Weed: How republicans learned to love marijuana.
- How social media took us from Tahrir Square to Donald Trump.
- John McCain, war hero and ‘maverick’ Republican, is dead at 81.
- Bill Gates says we need new economic models that take tech into account.
- Venezuela’s oil-backed cryptocurrency is giving blockchain a bad name.
- How dangerous is the Corporate Debt Bubble?
- A thing for vegetarianism: More than 3 million Canadians are now vegan/vegetarian, and here’s what would happen if everyone ate beans instead of beef.
- We’ll soon have a telescope that will show us the edge of the Universe.
- Bots and Russian trolls influenced vaccine discussion on Twitter, research finds.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- A new CRISPR technique let researchers repair a genetic mutation in viable human embryos.
- Genetic model offers elegant tool for testing Parkinson’s disease therapies.
- Vaccination: Why Russian trolls stoked US vaccine debates, and facts about vaccine safety.
- Study: Cannabis oil is 80% successful in helping autistic children.
- AI-Generated art will go on sale alongside human-made works this fall.
- Why our brains hate slowpokes: The high speed of society has jammed our internal clock.
- How sleep loss may contribute to adverse weight gain.
- Story of a lesbian basketball player: “Hateful comments are pushing people like me out of sports.”
- Can Amazon ace it in the brutal arena of live sports broadcasting?
- US Open Tennis 2018 underway. Official website here.
📈 Noteworthy Stocks and Assets:
- Jeff spent a few days with Rich Granville, CEO of Yippy, Inc. ($YIPI). Sales for the Yippy Search Appliance are exploding. Shares are very cheap. IBR will be doing a very well deserved corporate update.
- The current bull market has run since March 2009. In that time, the value of the S&P 500 has increased by 340% – it hit a new record high Friday. While this is the longest bull run on record, it’s not the biggest rise. The bull market leading up to the dotcom bubble saw an increase of over 400%.
💬 Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” – Confucius
- “The girl has taken that song from me. Ain’t no longer my song. From now on, it belongs to her.” – Otis Redding, after hearing Aretha’s version of “Respect”
🔠 Word Of The Week:
- Yearn – Verb: To desire strongly or persistently.
❔ Did You Know:
- Fact: Honey is the only natural food which never spoils.
- On this day in history: August 27, 1883 – The most powerful volcanic eruption in recorded history occurs, volcano known as Krakatau.
👓 A Must Watch & Listen:
- The Atlantic slave trade: What too few textbooks told you – Anthony Hazard. A brief TedEd video looking at the lesser known history of the Atlantic slave trade.
- Why We Need Artificial Intelligence in Health Care – Toby Cosgrove. Cosgrove has glimpsed into the future of medicine, and it is decidedly digital.
📚 Books We Are Reading:
- “The Servant: A Simple Story About the True Essence of Leadership” – By James C. Hunter
This is the story of an outwardly successful businessman whose personal and professional lives are spiraling out of control.
- “Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World” – By Rachel Ignotofsky
Terrific vignettes of the lives of both famous and not-so-famous women scientists and the extraordinary hurdles they faced.
🐦 Eye-Catching Tweet:
- @nospaceformilk: Scream movies would never happen these days because we’re all too anxious to answer the phone.
Our very best wishes for a very fruitful upcoming week! 🍀
The IBR Team: David, Jeff and Dr. Anna
P.S. Are you a shareholder in a company that has a great story and no audience? Let us know…