Welcome to the 19th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…?
? Interesting Articles & News:
- Kim Jong-un has said he still has “faith” in stalled peace talks with Donald Trump, as North and South Korea announced a historic new summit will take place between the two nations in less than a fortnight.
- An anonymous official within the Trump administration wrote a scathing op-ed, claiming that some on the inside are attempting to thwart the president’s “misguided impulses.” Read it.
- Bezos Unbound: Exclusive interview with the Amazon founder on what he plans to conquer next.
- Tesla, software and disruption. Read here.
- The years after the financial crisis, is the housing market still at risk? See the answer.
- Social Media giants need regulation from a government that’s unsure how to help. Read here.
- Mexico’s drug cartels are moving into the gasoline industry. Blood and oil.
- The quest to find new ways to harness solar power has taken a step forward after researchers successfully split water into hydrogen and oxygen by altering the photosynthetic machinery in plants. More here.
- In a big biotech gamble, government of Burkina Faso give the green light for the release of genetically engineered mosquitoes into the wild. The move is part of a long-term plan to eradicate a malaria. More here.
- The 4 waves of AI: Who will own the future of Technology? Find out here.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Plastic surgery, a thing of the past? Scientists have developed a technique to directly convert the cells in an open wound into new skin cells. More here.
- A strange thing has happened to men over the past few decades: They have become increasingly infertile. Learn why.
- Probiotics labelled ‘quite useless’. See the science.
- How Wall Street Abetted an Opioid Crisis. ?
- Scenes of joy as India set to decriminalize gay sex. Read here.
- Psychologists have surprising advice for people who feel unmotivated. Discover it here.
- China to select Winter Olympics athletes by their genes. See how.
- Humans, it seems, have an innate tendency to overgeneralize from small samples. Read more.
- David Beckham’s Miami MLS team unveils unique logo, color scheme and new name. More here. ⚽
- Serena Williams fined $ 17,000 for U.S. Open finals conduct. Djokovic takes the mens trophy. ?
? Noteworthy Stocks and Assets:
- Tesla short sellers are finally making money.
- Amazon became the second publicly traded U.S. company to reach a market capitalization of $ 1 trillion. The e-commerce giant’s achievement comes almost exactly one month after Apple became the first publicly traded U.S. company to hit the milestone. (Bezos is now worth $168 Billion)
- Bloomberg TV: Debating the Future of the Bull Market. Watch here.
- Jack Ma will steps down from Alibaba on his 55th birthday. His retirement letter can be read here.
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “Someones sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago” – Warren Buffet
- “I was born without knowing why, I have lived without knowing why, and I am dying without either knowing why or how.” – Pierre Gassendi
? Word Of The Week:
- Fintech – Noun: Products and companies that employ newly developed digital and online technologies in the banking and financial services industries. (Newly added to the Merriam Webster Dictionary)
❔ Did You Know:
- Fact: There are 336 dimples on a regulation golf ball.
- On this day in history: September 10, 1994 – Our in-house Doctor and Partner, Dr. Anna, was born 24 years ago! Happy birthday to her ? (Send a tweet to her here.)
? A Must Watch & Listen:
- Why luck may be subjective and not part of the world – The unreality of luck, on Aeon.
- The growing trend of adding legal CBD/Hemp to health and beauty products – Miriam Novalle. CEO and Founder of the world-renowned T Salon in New York City. Founder of High Tea Today. Dubbed the Tea Guru by The New York Times and she was also featured on the reality show, The Mentor. Listen here.
- Crazy video of Elon Musk smoking a joint and drinking scotch.
- Seth Godin: Sunk Costs. A must listen here.
? Books We Are Reading:
- Dreamland: The True Tale of America’s Opiate Epidemic – By Sam Quinones
A riveting read, this book illuminates through detailed storytelling how opioids rapidly became the crisis next door.
- Factfulness: Ten Reasons We’re Wrong About the World – And Why Things Are Better Than You Think – By Hans Rosling
Is the average life expectancy of a human being today 50, 60, or 70 years? How many of the world’s 1-year-olds have been vaccinated against some disease? In the past two decades, has the proportion of the world’s population living in extreme poverty doubled, halved, or remained the same? If you’re like most people, you’ll do worse at these questions than a chimpanzee picking the answers at random.
? Eye-Catching Tweet:
- @LaurenSivan: Summer is over. Time to get to work on my Winter body.
Our very best wishes for a very fruitful upcoming week! ?
The IBR Team: David, Jeff and Dr. Anna