Welcome to the 23rd edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Wishing our friends in the US a happy Columbus Day ? and in Canada a healthy Thanksgiving Day. ?
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- US Vice President Mike Pence accuses China of ‘malign’ campaign to undermine President Trump. Read about his policy address here.
- North Korea says there is ‘no way’ it will give up nuclear weapons without trust. Read here. ?
- The US Senate confirmed Brett Kavanaugh as the 114th justice of the Supreme Court. ?⚖️
- The US-China Cold War has begun. ?
- Catalonia: What would an economic split from Spain mean? Find out here.
- Why Elon Musk’s SEC settlement is critical for electric vehicles. ?
- Post-crisis, US banks have recovered while their European peers are still looking for ways to survive.
- The FDA seized documents from the largest e-cigarette company Juul in an investigation into targeting minors for marketing. What happened?
- A rare bottle of whiskey has sold for a world record €956,000 at auction. Read about ‘the Holy Grail of whiskey‘ ?
- The world’s youngest self-made billionaires, the Collison’s, prove that elegant design can upend an industry. Lovely profile of the founders of Stripe, who have successfully taken on Paypal, Amazon and Apple. ?
- A new Augmented Reality app for the cannabis industry is being created under the brand: “Dr. Anna’s”. Read the Press Release. ($WUHN)
- The first full-scale Hyperloop passenger capsule has arrived. Check out the Quintero One.
- The first ever plane powered by recycled waste just flew across the Atlantic. More here. ✈
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- AI could predict cognitive decline leading to Alzheimer’s disease in the next five years. Read more.
- Physics makes aging inevitable, not biology. The science here.
- Is fasting the fountain of youth? The answer here.
- Study: Artificial sweeteners are toxic to digestive gut bacteria. ?
- Bias in the ER: Doctors suffer from the same cognitive distortions as the rest of us. Read here.
- Addiction Inc. — “Marketing wizards and urine-testing millionaires: Inside the lucrative business of America’s opioid crisis.” ?
- The man who beat Monsanto: “They have to pay for not being honest”.
- “He actually believes he is Khalid”: The amazing 30-year odyssey of a counterfeit Saudi Prince. Read or listen here.
- Superstar Cristiano Ronaldo is facing growing concerns from sponsors over rape case. More here.
- Fan who lost her eye at the Ryder Cup blames organisers and says she could have been killed. Read here.
- Conor McGregor vs Khabib: What next for McGregor after heavy defeat at UFC 229?
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Yale University‘s endowment, under the guidance of David Swenson, has invested in two crypto funds.
- Short sellers are taking aim at Hong Kong’s emerging tech industries.
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” – Chinese Proverb
- “I’d rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.” – Robert H. Schuller
- “I can’t give you a surefire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: Try to please everybody all the time.” – Herbert Bayard Swope
? Word Of The Week:
- Peripeteia – Noun: A sudden or unexpected reversal of circumstances or situation especially in a literary work.
❔ Did You Know:
- Fact: Nutella was invented during WWII, when an Italian pastry maker mixed hazelnuts into chocolate to extend his chocolate ration.
- On this day in history: October 8, 1871 – Flames spark in the Chicago barn of Patrick and Catherine O’Leary, igniting a two-day blaze that kills between 200 and 300 people, destroys 17,450 buildings, leaves 100,000 homeless and causes an estimated $200 million (in 1871 dollars; $5 billion in 2018 dollars) in damages. ??
? A Must Watch & Listen:
? Books We Are Reading:
- 21 Lessons for the 21st Century – Yuval Noah Harari
Famed Historian and author Yuval Noah Harari brings his focus to the here and now in his latest publication. This book was written to help us to grapple with a world that is increasingly hard to comprehend, encouraging us to focus our minds on the essential questions we should be asking ourselves today.
- Cure: A Journey into the Science of Mind Over Body – Jo Marchant
If you’re interested in the power of our minds, the placebo effect, or deep explorations of mind-body connections, don’t miss this one. The most fascinating stories and studies.
? Feel Good Monday:
- This little girl was so pumped to meet Kate Middleton she gave her a hug and a handshake. This video will make you melt. ❤
? Eye-Catching Tweet:
- @bluebonetbabies: *Drives off into sunset* *Turns around because forgot phone*.
Our very best wishes for a very fruitful upcoming week! ?
The IBR Team: David, Jeff and Dr. Anna
P.S. Last week our Dr. Anna made the news in her role at Wuhan ($WUHN) as Chief Medical Officer. Wuhan and ePlay Digital ($EPY:CSE) jointly announced the soon to be released Dr. Anna MD App™. Read about it here.