Welcome to the 114th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- Najib Razak: Malaysian ex-PM gets 12-year jail term in 1MDB corruption trial.
- Herman Cain, 74, dies from COVID-19 after month in hospital. RIP
- Xi Jinping is using artificial intelligence to enhance his government’s totalitarian control.
- No clear end to China-Canada relations slide which began with arrest of Huawei’s Meng Wanzhou.
- A look inside the $52 trillion bubble that has “Hijacked China’s Economy”.
- As Robinhood investors pounced, hedge funds bailed.
- Second-quarter GDP plunged by worst-ever 32.9%.
- Germany’s economy posts its largest decline since 1970 with GDP shrinking 10%.
- A small group of short sellers, spurned investors, a former journalist,
and an ex-prosecutor are intent on revealing large-scale fraud in China.
- Americans are spending billions on unnecessary dental treatments. ?
- Incredibly rare blue lobster saved from certain death by Red Lobster employees. ?
- Henry Blodget was banned from the financial industry. So he built a financial media empire. ?
- You can blame ‘Load Theory’ for turning your brain to mush. ?
- Randomness theory could hold key to internet security.
- Google’s top search result? Surprise, it’s Google.
- SpaceX capsule and NASA crew make 1st splashdown in 45 years. ?
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Plant-based diets shown to lower blood pressure even with limited meat and dairy.
- Forty percent of dementia cases could be prevented or delayed by targeting 12 risk factors throughout life.
CANNABIS & MUSHROOMS
- Can Hemp Help? Low-THC Cannabis and Non-THC Cannabinoids for the treatment of Cancer.
- Psilocybin may be safe for treating depression but research is stymied by government controls.
- First dedicated CBD cafe and shop in Hong Kong opens in Sheung Wan.
- Maple Leafs icon Eddie Shack dies at age 83. ? RIP
- FC Barcelona the most engaging sports brand in the world.
- Roger Federer, such a great guy. Watch. ?
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Here’s why all of the S&P 500’s gains since April came after the market closed: JP Morgan.
- Wall Street’s crypto cold war.
- Apple: Blowout quarter, still overvalued.
- What happened before Kodak’s moment.
- Facedrive: A $1.4b ESG Stock Promotion with a hollow core business, flailing business pivots and multi-million dollar payments to an opaque BVI entity; 95% Downside.
- Spot gold traded as high as $1,943.93 per ounce, eclipsing the previous record of $1920.30 set in September 2011 (it has increased 27% since the start of 2020). Looking to gold funds, the popular SPDR Gold Trust ETF (NYSEARCA:GLD) continued its advance after climbing 5% last week.
Weekly Market Movement Wrap
Dow -0.2% to 26,428. S&P 500 +1.7% to 3,271. Nasdaq +3.7% to 10,745. Russell 2000 +0.5% to 1,475. CBOE Volatility Index -5.3% to 24.46.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples +0.9%. Utilities +0.9%. Financials -0.9%. Telecom +1.7%. Healthcare +0.3%. Industrials -0.2%. Information Technology +5.%. Materials -1.8%. Energy -4.2%. Consumer Discretionary +2.1%.
London -3.7% to 5,898. France -3.5% to 4,784. Germany -4.1% to 12,313. Japan -4.6% to 21,710. China +3.5% to 3,310. Hong Kong -0.5% to 24,595. India -1.4% to 37,607.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI -2.1% to $40.44/bbl. Gold +3.9% to $1,971.2/oz. Natural Gas +0.5% to 1.817. Ten-Year Treasury Yield +0.4% to 140.15.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD +1.06%. USD/JPY -0.29%. GBP/USD +2.31%. Bitcoin +17.1%. Litecoin +20.4%. Ethereum +14.1%. Ripple +20.9%.
Top Stock Gainers
Eastman Kodak (KODK) +940%. Precipio (NASDAQ:PRPO) +134%. Pacific Ethanol (NASDAQ:PEIX) +122%. Sohu.com (NASDAQ:SOHU) +107%. Marathon Patent Group (NASDAQ:MARA) +95%.
Top Stock Losers
WiMi Hologram Cloud (NASDAQ:WIMI) -40%. Genocea Biosciences (NASDAQ:GNCA) -36%. Global Eagle Entertainment (NASDAQ:ENT) -34%. Capital Product Partners (NASDAQ:CPLP) -31%. Alector (NASDAQ:ALEC) -29%.
? Stocks On Our Radar:
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical (NYSE: BHVN)
- AgeX (NYSE:AGE)
- FlooidCX Corp (OTC: FLCX)
- Portage Biotech (OTC: PTGEF)
- Wuhan General Group (OTC: WUHN)
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.” African Proverb
? Word Of The Week:
- Cornucopia n. A large amount of something; a great supply, an abundance: “A cornucopia of employment opportunities.”
❔ Did You Know:
- Triangle brain teaser. Can you solve it?
? A Must Watch & Listen:
- Azra Raza, M.D.: Why we’re losing the war on cancer.
- The relationship between the private and public sector in space exploration and the growing role of private capital in the 21st century space race.
- Barry Ritholtz interviews Simon Hallett, Co-Chief Information Officer at Harding Loevner, which manages about $72 billion dollars.
- FRONTLINE investigates how Jeff Bezos executed a plan to build one of the most influential economic and cultural forces in the world.
? Books We Are Reading:
- Expectations Investing: Reading Stock Prices for Better Returns by Alfred Rappaport and Michael Mauboussin
- Winning Decisions: Getting It Right the First Time by J. Edward Russo and Paul J.H. Schoemaker
- The Years of Lyndon Johnson: The Path to Power; Means of Ascent; Master of the Senate; The Passage of Power by Robert A. Caro
- American Prison: A Reporter’s Undercover Journey into the Business of Punishment by Shane Bauer
- More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places by Michael Mauboussin
? One Liners:
A man and woman were having sex. After they were done, the man asks the woman, “Are you a nurse?” The woman answers, “Yes. How did you know?” The man replies, “Because you took care of me so well.” Then the woman asks the man, “Are you an anesthesiologist?” He says proudly, “Yes. How do you know?” The woman answers, “Because I didn’t feel a thing.”
? Upcoming Events:
- Saturday, 5 December 2020, 09:15 – 17:30 GMT
- Business Design Centre, 52 Upper Street, London N1 0QH, United Kingdom
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! ?
The IBR Team