Welcome to the 115th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
August 9th – Wishing all the women of South Africa a very special and happy National Women’s Day. ?
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- Beirut explosion aftermath: Politics, frustration shape perspectives. ?
- There is good reason for Biden to fear Kanye’s candidacy.
- Neither political convention this year will include the typical arena-filled speech from the party’s respective candidate.
- AI-Powered hedge funds vastly outperformed, research shows. ?
- Pope Francis has appointed six women to oversee the Vatican’s finances, the most senior roles at the Church ever given to females, in a progressive step.
- Colonial Countryside: Facing up to Britain’s murky past. ??
- Anthropologist Wade Davis on how COVID-19 signals the end of the American era.
- August 8th is National Cannabidiol Day. Learn more about the potential of this mollecule. ?
- NOAA has revised its forecast for the Atlantic hurricane season, now predicting 25 named storms to form this year. ? (We’ve already had 9)
- Computers on verge of designing their own programs.
- The deck is not rigged: Poker and the limits of AI.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Scientists say lithium should be added to drinking water to prevent suicides. ?
- Heavier smoking linked to skyrocketing health risks.
- Malignant cancer diagnosed in a dinosaur for the first time.
- Obesity epidemic threatens effectiveness of any COVID-19 vaccine.
- Impossible Foods CEO on critics who say plant-based meat is unhealthy: ‘It’s bull—-‘.
- Fertility, mortality, migration, and population scenarios for 195 countries and territories from 2017 to 2100: A forecasting analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study. ? (Incredible data)
- ‘If we all get COVID anyway, should we just get it over with?’
- Genes, microbes and other factors govern how each person’s body processes nutrients. Understanding the connections could help optimize diets – and health.
CANNABIS & MUSHROOMS
- FDA approves GW Pharmaceuticals’ cannabis drug for new indication.
- Canada will let terminally ill patients use psychedelic mushrooms for end-of-life care.
- Brett Favre talks painkiller addiction and CBD endorsement. ??
- 7 benefits and uses of CBD oil.
- A potential role for psilocybin in the treatment of obsessive-compulsive disorder. More here.
- Ease restrictions on medical psychedelics to aid research. ?
- It’s time Britain regulated cannabis like alcohol – the benefits are clear.
- The CBD industry is here to stay.
- Machine learning makes drug re-purposing for psychiatric disorders more effective.
- Messi’s bumbling and stumbling goal is the greatest sports highlight of 2020. ⚽
- MLB’s coronavirus problem is turning into a scheduling nightmare. ⚾
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Virus sees Booking.com (NASDAQ:BKNG) slash quarter of global staff.
- CymaBay Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ: CBAY) shares closed the week up 76% to $6.26 on news its ENHANCE trial evaluating the safety and efficacy of seladelpar for the treatment of primary biliary cholangitis (PBC) achieved the primary endpoint.
- Uber lost $1.8B in 2Q as riders stayed home and ordered in.
- My expectation of President Trump’s re-election leads to a bullish outlook, especially for energy.
- What the Presidential Election means for the market.
- Virgin Galactic Holdings (NYSE: $SPCE) primed for takeoff.
Weekly Market Movement Wrap
Precious Metals Rally
Spot gold climb as high as $2,070 per ounce, recording its best weekly run since the Global Financial Crisis, while spot silver nearly touched $30/oz. The printers are running… Investors are counting on even more spending in the U.S., while markets latched on to comments from San Francisco Fed President Mary Daly that the U.S. economy will need more support than initially thought. Search for a new reserve currency? Goldman Sachs said gold may climb to $2,300/oz. and RBC Capital is putting the odds of a rally to $3,000/oz. at 40%.
Dow +3.8% to 27,433. S&P 500 +2.5% to 3,351. Nasdaq +2.5% to 11,011. Russell 2000 +5.8% to 1,566. CBOE Volatility Index -9.2% to 22.21.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples +1.4%. Utilities +1.%. Financials +3.3%. Telecom +3.%. Healthcare +0.9%. Industrials +4.8%. Information Technology +2.9%. Materials +2.2%. Energy +3.1%. Consumer Discretionary +1.9%.
London +2.3% to 6,032. France +2.2% to 4,890. Germany +2.9% to 12,675. Japan +2.9% to 22,330. China +1.3% to 3,354. Hong Kong -0.3% to 24,532. India +1.2% to 38,041.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI +3.2% to $41.56/bbl. Gold +3.2% to $2,036.2/oz. Natural Gas +25.2% to 2.253. Ten-Year Treasury Yield -0.1% to 139.95.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD +0.1%. USD/JPY +0.02%. GBP/USD -0.29%. Bitcoin -1.8%. Litecoin -7.5%. Ethereum -2.1%. Ripple +0.9%.
Top Stock Gainers
Biofrontera AG (NASDAQ:BFRA) +142%. Lightinthebox Holding (NYSE:LITB) +117%. Conduent (NASDAQ:CNDT) +116%. Marathon Patent Group (NASDAQ:MARA) +116%. NuZee Inc (OTC:NUZE) +100%.
Top Stock Losers
DBV Technologies (NASDAQ:DBVT) -45%. Vapotherm (NYSE:VAPO) -42%. LightPath Technologies (NASDAQ:LPTH) -34%. Eastman Kodak (NYSE:KODK) -32%. Altisource Portfolio Solutions (NASDAQ:ASPS) -31%.
? Stocks On Our Radar:
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical (NYSE: BHVN) – Announces $450 Million funding and $500 Million here. Not a bad week.
- AgeX (NYSE:AGE) – Moved up from .90 to $1.30 range.?
- FlooidCX Corp (OTC: FLCX)
- Portage Biotech (OTC: PTGEF)
- Wuhan General Group (OTC: WUHN)
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
“Quality is not an act, it is a habit.” – Aristotle
? Word Of The Week:
Insidious adj. 1. Working or spreading harmfully in a subtle or stealthy manner: insidious rumors; an insidious disease. 2. Beguiling but harmful; alluring: insidious pleasures.
❔ Did You Know:
Pickled capers activate proteins important for human brain and heart health.
Capparis spinosa, the caper bush, also called Flinders rose, is a perennial plant that bears rounded, fleshy leaves and large white to pinkish-white flowers. The plant is best known for the edible flower buds, used as a seasoning, and the fruit, both of which are usually consumed pickled.
? A Must Watch & Listen:
- ATAI’s Allan Malievsky chats with Dr. Matthew W. Johnson, one of the the world’s most published psychedelic medicine researchers and associate director of the renowned Johns Hopkins Psychedelic Research Unit.
- Dr. Peter Attia interviews Lori Gottlieb, a psychotherapist and bestselling author of Maybe You Should Talk to Someone. (See below)
- Todd Harrison of CB1 Capital on the future of cannabis.
? Books We Are Reading:
IBR reading list to inspire personal growth and success in 2020:
- The Algebra of Happiness: Notes on the Pursuit of Success, Love, and Meaning by Scott Galloway
- More Than Enough: Claiming Space for Who You Are by Elaine Welteroth
- Digital Minimalism by Cal Newport
- Maybe You Should Talk to Someone by Lori Gottlieb
- Time and the Art of Living by Robert Grudin
? One Liners:
“I changed my password to “incorrect,” so whenever I forget what it is the computer will say ‘Your password is incorrect.'” Rodney Dangerfield
? Upcoming Events:
- Saturday, 5 December 2020, 09:15 – 17:30 GMT
- Business Design Centre, 52 Upper Street, London N1 0QH, United Kingdom
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! ?
The IBR Team