Welcome to the 133rd edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
About 21 million people entered full lockdown restrictions in London, southeast and eastern England and Wales today to curb the spread of a highly infectious new strain of COVID-19. Ouch.🔒
Looks like a US stimulus package will be reached today.💰
Wishing everybody a Merry Christmas. 🎅🤶🎄
Here’s a shortlist (light version) of the content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
🤔 Interesting Articles & News:
- What’s wrong with the IPO process and how to fix it.
- Institutional investors’ BS — Decoded.
- Citi rapidly built one of the world’s best research departments. Was it built to last?
- The US labels Vietnam and Switzerland currency manipulators. 💵
- Reinventing Goldman Sachs.
- Goldman Sachs CEO expresses concern about market euphoria driven by small investors buying IPOs.
- The story of Dave Brubeck’s ‘Take Five. 🎹
- New Michelin stars give a boost to Spanish restaurants struggling with the coronavirus crisis.
- Increased social media use linked to developing depression.
- World’s biggest iceberg heads for disaster.🧊
- Peter Nygard, the Canadian fashion magnate arrested in Winnipeg, Manitoba on racketeering, sex trafficking, and related charges.
- The 20 most expensive homes that sold in the US this year.🏡
- DeepMind’s latest AI breakthrough could turbocharge drug discovery.
- GitHub CEO: We’re nuking all tracking ‘cookies’ and you should too (very smart move, let’s hope others follow).
- Everybody hates Facebook (many have been calling the end of FB for years. IBR is throwing its hat in the ring – 2021 will be very bumpy for all social media). 📉
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Forgetfulness may be a sign of brain efficiency.
- Your brain makes you a different person every day.🧠
- An avocado a day keeps your gut microbes happy. 🥑
- Aging, diet-induced obesity, and metabolic disease link explored in the new research (obesity is a massive epidemic).
CANNABIS & PSYCHEDELICS
- Effects and safety of Psilocybe cubensis and Panaeolus cyanescens magic mushroom extracts on endothelin-1-induced hypertrophy and cell injury in cardiomyocytes (Wuhan/M2BIO funded research).
- Psychedelic drug DMT to be trialed in the UK to treat depression.
- Why CBG, a new and legal cannabis plant product, is surging.
- Switzerland moves toward broader medical cannabis access.
- Science on psychedelic fungi is thawing after decades of prohibition. Here’s what we know so far.
- In a first for the UK, an investment fund dedicated to psychedelic healthcare has been launched.
- BECKLEY PSYTECH announces a £14M raise to conduct clinical trials on the psychedelic medicine pipeline.
- A record number of scientific papers published in 2020 about cannabis.
- New magic mushrooms could fix depression, addiction, epilepsy, and more.
- “Green” startup making hemp coolers in CNY.
- Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks reach five-year, $228M supermax extension. 🏀
Would you wish you could read hand-picked news and topics that interest you and be sure they are legitimate and credible? Then download the NITL app now and start reading. 📰
Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Bitcoin price hits an all-time high of more than $23,000+.
- Aphria, Tilray to form the biggest global cannabis company by revenue.
- Hemp pricing data now available on Chicago Mercantile Exchange.
- Ahead of an IPO, Robinhood agrees to pay $65 million to settle SEC charges.
- None of any significance.
What moved in the markets last week:
Dow +0.4% to 30,179. S&P 500 +1.3% to 3,709. Nasdaq +3.1% to 12,756. Russell 2000 +3.2% to 1,973. CBOE Volatility Index -7.5% to 21.57.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples +0.8%. Utilities +0.1%. Financials +0.1%. Telecom -0.5%. Healthcare +1.1%. Industrials +0.1%. Information Technology +3.2%. Materials +1.9%. Energy -4.3%. Consumer Discretionary +2.3%.
London -0.3% to 6,529. France +0.4% to 5,528. Germany +3.9% to 13,631. Japan +0.4% to 26,763. China +1.4% to 3,395. Hong Kong 0.05% to 26,499. India +1.9% to 46,961.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI +5.4% to $49.06/bbl. Gold +2.4% to $1,887./oz. Natural Gas +4.5% to 2.708. Ten-Year Treasury Yield -0.6% to 137.74.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD +1.21%. USD/JPY -0.67%. GBP/USD +2.23%. Bitcoin +22.8%. Litecoin +40.8%. Ethereum +15.4%. Ripple +13.3%.
Top Stock Gainers 📈
MingZhu Logistics Holdings (NASDAQ:YGMZ) +171%.
Arvinas Inc (NASDAQ:ARVN) +130%.
Curo Group Holdings (NYSE:CURO) +104%.
Prevail Therapeutics (NASDAQ:PRVL) +97%.
Marathon Patent Group (NASDAQ:MARA) +96%.
Top Stock Losers 📉
Apartment Investment and Management Co (NYSE:AIV) -89% (Removed from S&P500).
Mesoblast (NASDAQ:MESO) -45%.
SolarWinds (NYSE:SWI) -40%.
CooTek (NYSE:CTK) -35%.
Triterras (NASDAQ:TRIT) -34%.
🎯 Stocks On Our Radar:
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical (NYSE: BHVN) (news here)
- AgeX (NYSE: AGE)
- Portage Biotech (OTC: PTGEF)
- Wuhan General Group (OTC: WUHN) (news here) (2nd published paper here)
🏆 Quotes That Inspire Us:
“The key to success for everything in business, science, and technology is never to follow the others.”
📖 Word Of The Week:
Ostracize v. Exclude (someone) from a society or group. “She felt ostracized by society.”
❔ Did You Know:
The world’s first “IPO” took place in 1602.
It was the Dutch East India Co., which had a royal charter that granted it a 20-year monopoly on spice trade with the East Indies.
The company’s de facto ticker was VOC, which was the acronym for its Dutch name (Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie).
The merchants that ran VOC formed a limited liability company and sold an interest in the company to investors in exchange for a % of profit which was highly volatile because – well, it’s the frickin’ spice trade and there’s no guarantee the ship is making it across the Atlantic (twice).
At its peak, VOC was worth ~$8T in today’s money and things got really crazy in 1634 when VOC started bringing back tulips, precipitating one of history’s greatest bubbles.
📚 Books We Are Reading:
- The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz – Erik Larson
- Acting With Power: Why We Are More Powerful Than We Believe – Deborah Gruenfeld
- Square Haunting: Five Writers in London Between the Wars – Francesca Wade
- Hacking Darwin: Genetic Engineering and the Future of Humanity – Jamie Metzl
- Ghosts of Gold Mountain: The Epic Story of the Chinese Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad – Gordon H. Chang
“A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.”
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! 💪
The IBR Team