Welcome to the 41st edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- The shady economics of ‘buy one, get one free’ deals. ?
- The UK is going cashless. Read about it here. ?
- Blackstone’s Byron Wien discusses lessons learned in his first 80 years.
- The 21st century belongs to China—but the 22nd will be Africa’s.
- 80 percent of Vatican clerics are gay, distorting Catholic Church with shame and culture of cover-up, explosive book claims. ⛪
- How do the insanely wealthy pay for something worth hundreds of millions of dollars? ?
- Sold: A Stuffed Whale Penis for $6,000.
- Since the explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in 1986, an area of more than 4,000 square kilometres has been abandoned.
- Estonia is running its country like a tech company.
- Understanding China’s AI strategy.
- Urban Organics wants to fix food.
- This new brand of “tuna” doesn’t actually have any fish in it. ?
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Once a ‘refugee,’ a gene therapy pioneer Dr. James Wilson finds a renewed calling as the field advances. ?
- How the body and mind talk to one another to understand the world. ?
- FDA: Young-blood transfusions provide ‘no proven clinical benefit’ for aging, Alzheimer’s. ?
- The psychiatry field is buzzing with anticipation — and hesitation — about esketamine for depression.
- This scientist turned CEO wants to gene-edit a way to cure cancer. ??
- Israeli clinical research finds cannabis oil alleviates Autism Disorders. ?
- In the largest cross-cultural survey ever conducted, a team of anthropologists from the University of Oxford has determined seven moral rules they suggest are universal. ?
- Superstar fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld has died, aged 85, in Paris. Some beautiful pictures here. ?
- Why Russia can afford to jail U.S. investors.
- Big pharma is partnering with influencers to sell new drugs and medical devices. ??
- Inside Elizabeth Holmes’s chilling final months at Theranos. Read or listen here. (Great piece – Vanity Fair)
- Insider trading laws are coming to sports betting.
- You don’t need sports drinks to stay hydrated.
- How former ref Tim Donaghy conspired to fix NBA games. (Great read from ESPN) ?
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Uber is slowing down, and it no longer looks unstoppable.
- MIT researchers have developed a new secure cryptocurrency that reduces data users need to join the network and verify transactions by up to 99%.
- Immune Design (NASDAQ:IMDZ) announced it will be acquired by Merck (NYSE:MRK) for $5.85 per share in cash for an approximate value of $300m. Shares closed up 310% to $5.82.
- Inside the fraught race to manage China’s money. (massive opportunity)
- Inside the Levi’s IPO. (we?this IPO)
- First AI mining company goes public. Read here. ⛏
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “The question isn’t who’s going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.” ~ Ayn Rand
- “The most certain sign of wisdom is cheerfulness.” — Michel de Montaigne
? Word Of The Week:
- Canard noun: A false or unfounded rumor or story.
E.g. “The tabloid included some of Hollywood’s oldest canards.” ?
❔ Did You Know:
- Fact: Did you know that a cockroach can live 9 days without its head before it starves to death? ?
- On this day in history: February 24, 2008 Fidel Castro retires as the President of Cuba due to ill health after nearly fifty years.
? A Must Watch & Listen:
? Books We Are Reading:
By Michelle Obama
An intimate, powerful, and inspiring memoir by the former First Lady of the United States.
- Retail Disruptors: The Spectacular Rise and Impact of the Hard Discounters
By J This book explores the very real threat that hard discounters pose to traditional retailers and brand manufacturers.
- Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup
By The full inside story of the breathtaking rise and shocking collapse of Theranos, the multibillion-dollar biotech startup, by the prize-winning journalist who first broke the story and pursued it to the end, despite pressure from its charismatic CEO and threats by her lawyers.
? Feel Good Sunday:
- 40 incredible examples of optical illusions in photos. ?
? One Liners:
- “Doctor, there’s a patient on line 1 that says he’s invisible”
“Well, tell him I can’t see him right now.” ?⚕️
- Nurse: “Doctor why is there a thermometer behind your ear?”
Doctor: “Damn! Some asshole must have my pen!” ?
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! ??
The IBR Team