Welcome to the 35th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- How Americans see illegal immigration, the border wall and political compromise. ??
- Bolsonaro vs. Maduro: The next clash in Latin America? Both leaders threaten the region’s hard-won democracy. Opinion.
- The World Bank just got more pessimistic about global growth. It’s been warning of a worldwide economic slowdown for a while. ?
- Robert J. Shiller on “Bubbles, Reflexivity, and Narrative Economics”. His words.
- For tiny biotechs, J.P. Morgan is a big opportunity – And a big cost. The analysis. ?
- Intellectual humility: The importance of knowing you might be wrong.
- The skilled climber and thief Vjeran Tomic, whom the French press referred to as Spider-Man, has described robbery as an act of imagination.
- This man made $1 million on Bitcoin – And lost it again. His personal experience. ?
- Saudi Arabia’s crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman appears to have ‘lost’ the world’s most expensive painting. ?
- China completes world’s first 5G remote-control surgery in test on animal. Learn the procedure. ?
- A machine learning algorithm uses EEG traces to find a patient’s odds of waking, aka the state of consciousness.
- Artificial Intelligence can detect Alzheimer’s disease in brain scans six years before a diagnosis. ?
- With just a photo, this algorithm can do more than spot a possible genetic condition – It can suggest a cause.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- CBD has infiltrated wellness products of all kinds for humans. Pets are the inevitable next frontier. ??
- Current guidelines for sun exposure are unhealthy and unscientific, controversial new research suggests. ?
- Scientists are creating super-healthy, gene-edited spicy tomatoes, in Brazil. ?
- Our bodies may cure themselves of diabetes in the future. New study.
- In Canada, foreign talent helps power the nation’s economic boom. See what’s happening. ????
- The era of easy recycling may be coming to an end. The reasons why. ♻
- High-performance medicine: The convergence of human and artificial intelligence. The crossroad.
- Yes, you are probably descended from royalty. So is everyone else.
- Kenya will start teaching Chinese to elementary school students from 2020.
- Tearful Andy Murray says Australian Open could be his last tournament. ?
- Official Australian Open Tennis website is here. ?
- NFL playoffs: Saints end Eagles’ reign as Brady leads Patriots past Chargers. Read about it here. ?
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Newmont Mining to buy Goldcorp in $10 billion deal to create world’s largest gold producer.
- Japanese tech group SoftBank to slash planned WeWork investment. CEO Neumann talks about revised SoftBank round.
- One of the great micro-cap players we listen to likes Costas, Inc. ($CSSI @ $0.19). Costas is heading in a new direction – Marijuana. Based on the players involved and a PR or 2, we see the shares having a nice healthy 2-3X pop. ?
- Chinese buyers expand their reach in the US housing market as the middle class gets in on the act.
- $GRPV, Gripevine Inc., one of our favorite picks for 2019 is sitting quietly at $0.18. We do expect some news from the company soon and without a doubt the shares will move northbound. Build a position while you can at this level. ?
- The global firm Bridgewater killed it last year, with a bearish stance translating to big gains for its hedge fund strategy.
- Eli Lilly to buy Loxo Oncology for about $8 billion in cancer drug bet.
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “Show me a person who has never made a mistake and I’ll show you someone who has never achieved much.” – Joan Collins
- “Some people dream of success, while other people get up every morning and make it happen.” – Wayne Huizenga
? Word Of The Week:
- Formidable – Adj: Inspiring fear or respect through being impressively powerful, large, or capable.
E.g. “Mike Tyson was a formidable opponent.”
❔ Did You Know:
- Fact: Did you know macadamia nuts are toxic to dogs? ?
- On this day in history: Churchill, Roosevelt and de Gaulle meet in Casablanca to discuss their WWII strategy. During the secret Casablanca Conference, the leaders agreed that the allied forces would accept nothing less than the unconditional surrender of the Axis powers. ?
? A Must Watch & Listen:
- Talent, Tech Trends and Culture – With Marc Andreessen and Ben Horowitz. Listen to the podcast.
? Books We Are Reading:
- The Complacent Class – By Tyler Cowen
We’re becoming more risk-averse, moving less, productivity is declining outside of tech, and more medicated. Individually we’re settling, but collectively this has massive impacts like screwy politics and reduced competitiveness on an international level.
- The Perfect Bet: How Science and Math Are Taking the Luck Out of Gambling – By Adam Kucharski
Before you walk into a Casino you should read this book. Investors will love the section on pari-mutuel betting.
- Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers – By Mary Roach
Engaging and thoughtful, this book explores the many uses cadavers have.
? Feel Good Monday:
- We’ve compiled 10 Office Food Hacks to make your eating situations at work 10 times more boss-like.
? Eye-Catching Tweet:
- @thedad: My kids are so open to experiencing culture. They’ll try anything, from chicken tenders at a Mexican restaurant to chicken tenders at a Mediterranean restaurant.
Our very best wishes for a very fruitful upcoming week! ?
The IBR Team: Dr. Anna, Jeff and David