Welcome to the 36th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- Britain’s exit from the European Union could threaten 20 years of peace in Northern Ireland. Old conflict, new border. ??
- More about the Brexit: A dangerous political void.
- Week 10 of “Yellow Vest” Protestors: A march despite President Macron’s efforts.
- Tesla lays off 7% of its employees as it faces the grim reality of mass-producing cars. Harsh financial reality.
- Mario Draghi rejects global recession fears and says refugee crisis is an opportunity.
- Davos 2019: The World Economic Forum. Check out what it is and who will be attending.
- Japan’s optimistic millennials shed frugal habits and lift spending, as the country experiences economic growth. Meanwhile, China set to report slowest economic growth for 28 years.
- Our pets: The key to the obesity crisis. How to stop it. ??
- John Bogle, who brought markets to the masses, dies at 89. RIP ?
- Can article 50 be extended? Six key Brexit questions.
- Death toll reaches 79 in Mexico fuel pipeline fire horror.
- The Consumer Electronics Show 2019 was interesting and thought-provoking. The report. ?
- How to build a skyscraper out of wood. ?
- Testimony: I mentored Mark Zuckerberg. I loved Facebook. But I can’t stay silent about what’s happening.
- The most powerful person in Silicon Valley. Uncover who he is.
- Quantum computing is poised to upend entire industries. Find out what it is.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Anti-vaxxers are a major health threat, according to the WHO.
- A precocious puberty case. Discover his stoy.
- The hypothesis that scientific greatness requires freedom of thought is about to be tested. The Chinese scenario.
- 400 free Ivy League university courses you can take online in 2019.
- Britain’s exit from the European Union could threaten 20 years of peace in Northern Ireland.
- China Story: The rise and rise of Chinese science fiction.
- Our oceans broke heat records in 2018 and the consequences are catastrophic.
- A bit of meat, a lot of veg: The flexitarian diet could feed 10 billion people and not cause catastrophic damage to the planet. The balance.
- Jasmin Paris becomes first woman to win 268-mile Montane Spine Race. ?
- 21 year-old gymnast Katelyn Ohashi‘s perfect 10 reminded America life could be fun again. Watch her performance.
- Roger Federer loses to Stefanos Tsitsipas in four sets. ⚾
- Manny Pacquiao rolled back the years to beat Adrien Broner in style, then challenged Floyd Mayweather to a rematch.
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Ray Dalio, founder of the world’s largest hedge fund firm was one of the top-earning managers of 2018. ?
- Snap ($SNAP) and Zillow ($ZG) huge wins for IBR subscribers as both stocks tanked. Read more about our short calls here and here.
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see.” – Ayn Rand
- “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.” – Warren Buffett
? Word Of The Week:
- Canard – Noun: A false or unfounded report or story. A groundless rumor or belief
E.g. “The report about a conspiracy proved to be a canard.”
❔ Did You Know:
- Fact: Women blink twice as much as men. ?
- On this day in history: January 20, 1971 – Single “What’s Going On” by Marvin Gaye about police brutality is released (listen to it here.)
? A Must Watch & Listen:
- A Q&A with Twitter’s CEO (Jack Dorsey) on right-wing extremism, Candace Owens, and what he’d do if the president called on his followers to murder journalists.
- Inventing the Future: My interview with Lux Capital’s Josh Wolfe.
? Books We Are Reading:
- The Point of It All: A Lifetime of Great Loves and Endeavors – By Charles Krauthammer
A powerful collection of the author’s most important works. Spanning the personal, the political and the philosophical, it includes never-before-published speeches and a major new essay about the effect of today’s populist movements on the future of global democracy.
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck – By Mark Manson
For decades we’ve been told that positive thinking is the key to a happy, rich life. Author says. “Let’s be honest, shit is f*cked, and we have to live with it.” In his wildly popular Internet blog, Manson doesn’t sugarcoat or equivocate. He tells it like it is – a dose of raw, refreshing, honest truth that is sorely lacking today.
- The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure – By Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff
The generation now coming of age has been taught three Great Untruths: their feelings are always right; they should avoid pain and discomfort; and they should look for faults in others and not themselves. These three Great Untruths are part of a larger philosophy that sees young people as fragile creatures who must be protected and supervised by adults.
? Feel Good Sunday:
- Tomorrow Monday January 21 is Martin Luther King Jr‘s Day. Learn 10 facts about this world-famous civil rights campaigner.
? Eye-Catching Tweet:
- @coolbutpoorguy: People from the midwest be like “why would I fly, it’s only a 14 hour drive”.
Our very best wishes for a very fruitful upcoming week! ?
The IBR Team