Welcome to the 210th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a shortlist of the content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
🤔 Interesting Articles & News:
- UBS accused of role in embezzling Congolese millions. 💰
- The next UK prime minister will be announced on Sept. 5. 🇬🇧
- Italian PM Mario Draghi offers resignation after coalition falls apart. 🇮🇹
- Don’t expect Biden’s Saudi trip to bring down oil prices. 🛢
- The battlefield for control of Congress is small. Here’re the 20 counties that will decide the midterms. 🇺🇸
- Morocco – a top fertiliser producer – could hold a key to the world’s food supply. 🔑
- Bank of America slashes U.S. GDP forecast again: -1.2%. 📉
- The euro and the dollar are under half a penny away from parity for the first time in 20 years. 💶
- IMF warns of ‘Darkening Economic Outlook’ in call for tighter controls. ⛈
- Bank of America forecasts a recession this year with economy shrinking 1.4%. 🏦
- Inflation hits 9.1 percent in June, new 40-year high. 📈
- NFT of mRNA vaccine research to go on sale. 💉
- No, your consumers don’t want lectures on climate change, BLM and LGBTQ+. 🌈
- Van Gogh self-portrait found hidden behind another painting. 🖼️
- NASA releases first breathtaking images taken by James Webb space telescope. 🔭
- Earliest known images of two biblical heroines unearthed in Israel. 🇮🇱
- Cavers discover 200-year old mine, untouched since the moment it was abandoned. 🔎
- Bernie Ecclestone: Former F1 boss to be charged with fraud over assets worth more than £400 million. 🏎
- London is now the most surveilled city in the western world. 👁
- The Earth’s 8 billionth inhabitant will be born on Nov. 15. 👶
- Uber broke laws, duped police, and secretly lobbied governments, leak reveals. 🙊
- How Uber won access to world leaders, deceived investigators, and exploited violence against its drivers in battle for global dominance. 💥
- 6 Starbucks stores in LA area among 16 closing in US amid safety fears. ☕️
- Businesswoman Ivana Trump, First Wife of Donald Trump, passes away at 73. 🙏
- Bill Gates says his pledge to give away his wealth (to his own charity) will erase him from list of world’s richest people (great tax maneuver). 💸
- Researchers in China said their ‘mind-reading’ AI can measure loyalty to the Communist Party. 🇨🇳
- MSU researchers unveil 3D printing technology that could advance biofilm science. 🖨
- The first image from the James Webb Space Telescope took less than a day to capture, and it’s the deepest infrared view of the universe we’ve ever seen. 🔭
- From search engines to predicting protein structures, A.I. increasingly drives innovation—and raises ethics questions. ❓
- Japan proposes a wild concept for making artificial gravity on the moon. 🌒
- After an AI bot wrote a scientific paper on itself, the researcher behind the experiment says she hopes she didn’t open a ‘Pandora’s box‘. 📃
- Higgs boson at 10: Deep dive into the mysterious, mass-giving particle. ⚛️
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Cumulative effects of LDL-C reduction in mitigating cardiovascular risk. 🫀
- Hot stuff: Spicy foods can’t harm you, can they? 🔥
- Only seven percent of adults have good cardiometabolic health. ✅
- Intro to lipids & lipoproteins: why there is no ‘bad’ or ‘good’ cholesterol. 🤔
- What causes heart disease? (the number one killer in the developed world) ❤️🩹
- How morning coffee changes the brain. ☕️
- ‘Systemic Catastrophe’: MIT Senior Researcher warns Glyphosate is a slow kill. 🚨
- Inaccurate pulse oximeter readings tied to less supplemental oxygen for darker-skinned ICU patients. 👩⚕️
- What causes the brain’s emotional hub to switch to negative states? 🎭
- Can you outrun a poor diet? 🏃♀️
- Africans make up a tiny portion of genomics data: Why there’s an urgent need for change. 🌍
- Antidepressants are overprescribed and linked to suicide risk. 💊
- How old is your brain? Seeking new epigenetic measures of brain aging. 🧠
- Researchers find FDA-approved drugs that curb Alzheimer’s symptoms. 🔬
- Consumption of extra virgin olive oil during pregnancy increases the level of antioxidants in breast milk and in infants. 🫒
- Non-invasive stimulation of eye as potential treatment of depression and dementia. 👀
- Africa is a treasure trove of medicinal plants: Here are seven that are popular. 🌱
- Scientists cloned mice from freeze-dried skin cells, opening the door to biopreservation. 🐭
- Statins increase diabetes risk by 38%. 📈
CANNABIS & PSYCHEDELICS
- Ann Shulgin, pioneer of psychedelics in therapy, dies at 91. 🙏
- Some US states have begun the process to decriminalize psychedelics for use in healing therapy. 🇺🇸
- How common is pediatric cannabis use and what are the risks? 🌿
- Psychedelics may be your ticket to self-actualization. 🧘♀️
- Classic psychedelics, such as psilocybin and LSD, and other serotonin 2A receptor (5-HT2AR) agonists evoke acute alterations in perception and cognition. 🧠
- Indonesia could issue a fatwa that medical marijuana is halal – thanks to a mother’s love. 🇮🇩
- How to Change Your Mind: The documentary that wants you to think again about LSD. 🎞
- PSYCH Symposium: London 2022 – Between Receptor and Mind: How Psychedelics Work In the Brain. Watch It Here. 🧠
- Ketamine for psychedelic mental health healing grows in popularity. 👏
- Access to psilocybin in Canada. 🇨🇦
- Tennis star Ons Jabeur is Tunisia’s ‘minister of happiness’. 🎾
- ‘You’re looking for a lack of fluff’: Why Wimbledon uses 55,000 tennis balls a year. 🎾
- Kenya loses 2025 World Athletics Championships bid to Japan. 🇯🇵
- Australia’s Michael Matthews wins Tour de France stage 14, Vingegaard retains overall lead. 🚴
💲 Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Why the hype around NFTs should not make us lose sight of the legal issues in terms of copyrights. 👩⚖️
- From $10 billion to zero: How a crypto hedge fund collapsed and dragged many investors down with it. 💰
- Celsius’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing dashes hopes that customers barred from withdrawing funds will ever get their money back. 🤷♂️
- The chief brain behind Tesla’s acclaimed self-driving program is out—and that spells trouble for Musk. 🚘
Earnings spotlight: Monday, July 18 – Bank of America (BAC), IBM (IBM), and Goldman Sachs (GS).
Earnings spotlight: Tuesday, July 19 – Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Lockheed Martin (LMT), Netflix (NFLX), Hasbro (HAS), Silvergate Capital (NYSE:SI).
Earnings spotlight: Wednesday, July 20 – Tesla (TSLA), Abbott Laboratories (NYSE:ABT), CSX (NASDAQ:CSX), Las Vegas Sands (LVS), Biogen (NASDAQ:BIIB), and United Airlines (UAL).
Earnings spotlight: Thursday, July 21 – AT&T (T), Philip Morris International (PM), Travelers Companies (TRV), Domino’s Pizza (NYSE:DPZ), Union Pacific (UMP), Snap (SNAP), and
Earnings spotlight: Friday, July 22 – Verizon Communications (VZ), American Express (AXP), Twitter (TWTR), and HCA Healthcare (HCA).
IPOs expected to start trading this week:
The analyst quiet period expires on Golden Sun Education Group (GSUN) on July 18. The IPO lockup expires on the same day on Yoshitsu (TKLF).
What Moved the Markets:
Dow -0.2% to 31,288. S&P 500 -0.9% to 3,863. Nasdaq -1.6% to 11,452. Russell 2000 -1.6% to 1,741. CBOE Volatility Index -1.7% to 24.23.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples +0.1%. Utilities -0.1%. Financials -0.9%. Telecom -3.3%. Healthcare -0.5%. Industrials -1.2%. Information Technology -0.3%. Materials -1.3%. Energy -3.1%. Consumer Discretionary -1.%.
London -0.5% to 7,159. France +0.1% to 6,036. Germany -1.2% to 12,865. Japan +1.% to 26,788. China -3.8% to 3,228. Hong Kong -6.6% to 20,298. India -1.3% to 53,761.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI -6.9% to $97.57/bbl. Gold -2.1% to $1,706.5/oz. Natural Gas +17.9% to 7.115. Ten-Year Treasury Yield -0.2 bps to 2.92.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD -0.95%. USD/JPY +1.81%. GBP/USD -1.41%. Bitcoin -3.3%. Litecoin +1.4%. Ethereum +2.5%. XRP -1.1%.
Top S&P 500 Gainers
Southwest Airlines (LUV) +8%. Citigroup (C) +7%. United Airlines Holdings (UAL) +6%. NXP Semiconductors (NXPI) +6%. The Boeing Company (BA) +6%.
Top S&P 500 Losers
Match Group (MTCH) -13%. ServiceNow (NOW) -12%. Enphase Energy (ENPH) -10%. SolarEdge Technologies (SEDG) -10%. APA (APA) -8%.
🎯 Stocks On Our Radar:
- AgeX (NYSE: AGE) 📈 – $3.00 target
- Portage Biotech (NASDAQ: PRTG) 📈 – $45 target
- Agronomics Ltd (OTC: AGNMF) 📈
- Regent Pacific Group Ltd. (HKG: 0575) 📈
- ThreeD Capital Inc. (IDK.CN) (OTC: IDKFF) 📈
🏆 Quotes That Inspire Us:
“We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.”
– John Naisbitt
📖 Word Of The Week:
To postulate means to assume or claim something (such as an idea or theory) as true, especially for the purposes of starting a discussion.
The famous science-fiction author often postulates in interviews that we live in but one of an infinite number of parallel universes.
❔ Did You Know:
Nutmeg is a hallucinogen. The spice contains myristicin, a natural compound that has mind-altering effects if ingested in large doses.
📚 Books We Are Reading:
- Cured: The Life-Changing Science of Spontaneous Healing – by Jeffrey Rediger.
- Disaster by Choice: How our actions turn natural hazards into catastrophes – by Ilan Kelman.
- Under the Stars: A Journey Into Light – by Matt Gaw.
- Stealth: The Secret Contest to Invent Invisible Aircraft – by Peter Westwick.
- Beyond Global Warming: How Numerical Models Revealed the Secrets of Climate Change – by Syukuro Manabe & Anthony J. Broccoli.
- Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
- Children: You spend the first 2 years of their life teaching them to walk and talk. Then you spend the next 16 years telling them to sit down and shut-up.
📽 A Must Watch & Listen:
- How medicine is failing a nation in pain. 💊
- When we’ll be able to 3D-print organs and who will be able to afford them. (fascinating)
- How is one of the most senior dealmakers in Europe navigating inflationary pressures? Watch here. (Goldman Sachs)
- Too much pleasure can lead to addiction. How to break the cycle and find balance.
📆 Upcoming Events:
Fierce MedTech Summit 🧬
The only event where medical device marketers will gather alongside product development, engineering, and R&D professionals to share the leading-edge tools and strategies that will propel increased effectiveness in their roles.
August 08-09, 2022 | In-person Event | Minneapolis, MN, USA
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! 💪
The IBR Team
Please send any news, comments, or stock ideas to email@example.com and follow IBR on Twitter @IBullReport
P.S. Jeff will be in Dubai from July 25th to August 6th.
All content provided by Internet Bull Report is for informational and educational purposes only and is not meant to represent trade or investment recommendations.