Welcome to the 112th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
COVID-19, the 2nd wave is coming and hard unfortunately. Just as things were looking a bit better and seemed to be heading in the right direction, the virus is rearing its very ugly head. Please wash your hands, wear a mask and practice safe distancing. 😷
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
🤔 Interesting Articles & News:
- John Lewis, civil rights icon and longtime congressman, dies. RIP
- Democrats tweet the most, but individual Republicans get more engagement.
- War-torn Syria goes to the polls amid economic crisis.
- US considers travel ban on millions of China Communist party members.
- The deck is not rigged: Poker and the limits of AI.
- A Twitter hacking spree hits Elon Musk, Obama, Apple, and more. 🐤
- Facebook readies global launch of its TikTok competitor.
- This new ultrahard material inspired by nature could make uncuttable bike locks.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Changes in the immune system can promote healthy aging.
- Over half of coronavirus patients in Spain have developed neurological problems, studies show. 🧠
- How long should you fast for weight loss? 👙
- Two paths of aging: New insights on promoting healthspan.
- Blood iron levels could be key to slowing ageing.
- 85 infants have tested positive for coronavirus in 1 Texas county.
CANNABIS & MUSHROOMS
- The power of psychedelics. They worked for my depression; could they be the future of psychiatry? 🧠
- After his latest firing, this cannabis entrepreneur raised $150 million for a hemp venture — during a pandemic.
- More potent than CBD, THC: Dr. Raphael Mechoulam explains his latest discovery.
- Research shows psychedelics can be used in treatment of mental illness.
- Congress approves measure allowing CBD use by Military Service Members.
- An open letter about my health: Elena Delle Donne, Washington Mystics. 🏀
- No Canada: Blue Jays not allowed to play games in Toronto. ⚾
- The staggering numbers that prove just how far Bryson DeChambeau is hitting the golf ball these days. 🏌️♂️
We recommend The Palm Group:
The Palm Group are experts in Palm Beach real estate and can help find your dream home in the sun. See more here. 🌴🏡
💲 Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Moderna (NASDAQ:MRNA) jumped 17% after the closing bell on Tuesday after the company released data that showed its potential coronavirus vaccine producing a “robust” immune response in all 45 patients in its early human trial. London’s Telegraph also reported that results from a Phase 1 clinical trial evaluating Oxford University’s COVID-19 vaccine – backed by AstraZeneca (NYSE:AZN) – generated an antibody and T-cells (killer cell). The response, if confirmed, has significant implications for sustained immunity since antibodies may fade away within months while T-cells remain in circulation for years.
- Netflix shares plunged over 9% AH on Thursday, wiping out nearly all the gains from the last month, after earnings fell below a lofty profit consensus and weak guidance was given for Q3. While the streamer logged another 10.1M new paid subscribers last quarter, it sees “growth slowing as consumers get through the initial shock of COVID and social restrictions.” There were also big changes in the C-suite: Ted Sarandos, who has led original content efforts, was named co-CEO along with founder Reed Hastings, while chief product officer Greg Peters added COO to his title. Looking ahead, some are asking how much new content Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX) will be able to upload during the COVID-19 pandemic and whether the resumption of professional sports will eat into its market share.
Weekly Market Movement Wrap
Dow +2.3% to 26,672. S&P 500 +1.3% to 3,225. Nasdaq -1.1% to 10,503. Russell 2000 +3.7% to 1,475. CBOE Volatility Index -5.9% to 25.68.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples +1.5%. Utilities +1.9%. Financials +2.9%. Telecom -0.5%. Healthcare +3.7%. Industrials +5.2%. Information Technology -1.6%. Materials +4.6%. Energy +4.5%. Consumer Discretionary -1.%.
London +3.2% to 6,290. France +2.% to 5,069. Germany +2.3% to 12,920. Japan +1.8% to 22,696. China -5.% to 3,214. Hong Kong -2.5% to 25,089. India +1.2% to 37,020.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI +0.1% to $40.59/bbl. Gold +0.6% to $1,812.1/oz. Natural Gas -5.5% to 1.706. Ten-Year Treasury Yield +0.1% to 139.38.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD +1.16%. USD/JPY +0.09%. GBP/USD -0.43%. Bitcoin -1.2%. Litecoin -6.6%. Ethereum -2.8%. Ripple -3.5%.
Top Stock Gainers
Equillium (NASDAQ:EQ) +335%.
Boxlight (NASDAQ:BOXL) +267%.
RumbleON (OTC:RMBL) +178%.
Heat Biologics (NASDAQ:HTBX) +144%.
InnerWorkings (NASDAQ:INWK) +134%.
Top Stock Losers
Gritstone Oncology (NASDAQ:GRTS) -53%
NextCure (NASDAQ:NXTC) -48%
Tricida (NASDAQ:TCDA) -37%
Qutoutiao (NASDAQ:QTT) -28%
Osmotica Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:OSMT) -28%.
The week ahead:
- Monday: Halliburton and IBM earnings.
- Tuesday: Coca-Cola, Lockheed Martin, Philip Morris, UBS, Snap and Texas Instruments earnings.
- Wednesday: Existing US home sales; United Airlines, Biogen, Chipotle, Microsoft, Tesla and Whirlpool earnings.
- Thursday: Initial US unemployment claims; Germany consumer confidence; American Airlines, Hershey, Kimberly-Clark, Twitter, Intel and Mattel earnings.
- Friday: New US home sales; American Express, Honeywell and Verizon earnings.
🎯 Stocks On Our Radar:
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical (NYSE: BHVN) – Press Release ✅
- AgeX (NYSE:AGE)
- FlooidCX Corp (OTC: FLCX)
- Portage Biotech (OTC: PTGEF)
- Wuhan General Group (OTC: WUHN) – Press Release ✅
🏆 Quotes That Inspire Us:
“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived; it is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” – Nelson Mandela
📖 Word Of The Week:
Gratuitous adj. 1. Given or granted without return or recompense; unearned. 2. Unnecessary or unwarranted; unjustified: A gratuitous remark.
❔ Did You Know:
‘Bookkeeper’ and ‘bookkeeping’ are the only 2 words in the English language with three consecutive double letters
📽 A Must Watch & Listen:
- Jeff Robinson and Jack Napier interview: Functional Nutrition.
📚 Books We Are Reading:
- The Real Business of Blockchain by David Furlonger & Christophe Uzureau
- The Connector Manager: Why Some Leaders Build Exceptional Talent – and Others Don’t by Jaime Roca and Sari Wilde
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation by Tim Brown
- Payoff: The Hidden Logic That Shapes Our Motivations by Dan Ariely
🤣 One Liners:
- If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?
- Is there another word for synonym?
📆 Upcoming Events:
Ask Jim: Live Q&A Webinar
- An exclusive Q&A webinar with the Master Investor himself, Jim Mellon.
- Thursday July 30th, 1PM BST. Online.
- More information and registration HERE.
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! 💪
The IBR Team