Welcome to the 109th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Happy Fathers Day! Legend has it that the day was founded by Sonora Smart Dodd in 1910. She was the daughter of American Civil War veteran William Jackson Smart. Ever since then, the day has been marked and dedicated to all the fathers across the globe and celebrated in almost 111 countries. However, the date varies. In countries like New Zealand and Australia, Father’s Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in the month of September. Celebrations in Brazil are reserved for second Sunday of August.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- North Korea blows up joint liaison office with South in Kaesong. ?
- Three Indian soldiers killed in border clash with Chinese troops.
- Trump’s first pandemic-era foreign visitor is Polish President looking for an electoral boost.
- With mortgage rates at historic lows, more people are racing into the housing market – and they’re looking to the ‘burbs’. Data shows searches for suburban zip codes are up 13%. ? (We’re seeing so many friends moving out of the cities)
- Science finally explains this classic optical illusion. ? (For sure to drive you crazy)
- One of the most influential internet thinkers, Marc Andreessen.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Repetitive Negative Thinking (RNT) is tied to cognitive decline, Alzheimer’s pathology. ?
- American Cancer Society: ‘It is best not to drink alcohol‘.
- Coronavirus: Dexamethasone proves first life-saving drug. A major study of the use of convalescent plasma to treat coronavirus suggests that the century-old medical technique is helpful.
- Probiotics lack supporting evidence for most GI conditions.
- New global registry investigates COVID-19 and new-onset diabetes.
- Blood test to monitor cancer up to ten times more sensitive than current methods.
- Can we target cancer’s metabolism by combining new drugs with a fat-free diet?
CANNABIS & MUSHROOMS
- NBA now allows cannabis use by players. ?
- Aurora Cannabis president Steve Dobler to step down.
- $500M lawsuit accuses cannabis retailers of distributing product with incorrect THC and CBD levels.
- 23 of 28 Clemson Athletics’ positive COVID-19 tests are football players.
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Twitter freaked out over Robinhood selling its trade flow.
- “This is just f–king unbelievable!”: Bankrupt Hertz is a pandemic zombie.
- Boaz Weinstein is making bank. He’s not happy that you know about it.
- Short seller attacks solar company’s ‘Fabricated’ financials.
- The story of Robinhood.
Weekly Market Movement Wrap
Dow +1.1% to 25,871. S&P 500 +1.9% to 3,098. Nasdaq +3.7% to 9,946. Russell 2000 +2.4% to 1,421. CBOE Volatility Index -2.7% to 35.12.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples +3.%. Utilities +0.7%. Financials +1.3%. Telecom +2.3%. Healthcare +2.2%. Industrials +1.9%. Information Technology +3.6%. Materials +2.3%. Energy +0.7%. Consumer Discretionary +2.8%.
London +3.1% to 6,293. France +2.9% to 4,979. Germany +3.2% to 12,331. Japan +0.8% to 22,479. China +1.6% to 2,968. Hong Kong +1.4% to 24,644. India +2.8% to 34,732.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI +8.9% to $39.45/bbl. Gold +1.% to $1,754.3/oz. Natural Gas -3.5% to 1.669. Ten-Year Treasury Yield -0.2% to 138.79.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD -0.73%. USD/JPY -0.46%. GBP/USD -1.53%. Bitcoin -1.8%. Litecoin -3.9%. Ethereum -3.5%. Ripple -3.1%.
Top Stock Gainers
Urban One (NASDAQ:UONE) +1873%.
Carvana (NASDAQ:CARV) +513%.
Cohen & Company (NYSEMKT:COHN) +274%.
Alpine Immune Sciences (NASDAQ:ALPN) +224%.
NTN Buzztime Inc (NYSEMKT:NTN) +192%.
Top Stock Losers
Chembio Diagnostics (NASDAQ:CEMI) -61%.
BioCardia (OTCQB:BCDA) -34%.
Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK) -34%.
AVEO Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:AVEO) -30%.
Genius Brands International (NASDAQ:GNUS) -29%.
? Stocks On Our Radar:
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical (NYSE: BHVN) –continues to move up.
- AgeX (NYSE:AGE)
- FlooidCX Corp (OTC: FLCX)
- Portage Biotech (OTC: PTGEF) – Raises $6.7M US, press release here.
- Wuhan General Group (OTC: WUHN) – Name change press release here.
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- ”In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity.”– Sun Tzu
? Word Of The Week:
Advice and Advise
- The word advice is a noun. It means an opinion or recommendation that is offered as a course of action. Advice is pronounced with an ending sounding like “ice.”
- The word advise is used as a verb. It means to offer an opinion or suggestion, or formally provide information. Advise is pronounced with an ending sounding like “ize.”
When the issue of advice vs. advise comes up, a quick and easy tip to remember is that advise means to give advice.
❔ Did You Know:
There is enough DNA in the average person’s body to stretch from the sun to Pluto and back – 17 times. ?
? A Must Watch & Listen:
The three secrets of resilient people – Dr Lucy Hone.
Dr Hone is a director of the New Zealand Institute of Wellbeing & Resilience, a research associate at AUT University, a published academic researcher, best-selling author and contributor to Psychology Today, the Sunday Star Times and Next magazine.
? Books We Are Reading:
- Alexander Hamilton (Great Lives) by
- Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream by
- The Great Contraction, 1929-1933 by
- Capitalism and Freedom by Milton Friedman
- A Monetary History of the United States, 1867-1960 by
? One Liners:
February 2020: Could this meeting have been an email?
April 2020: Could this zoom have been a phone call?
June 2020: Could this soda have been a whiskey?
? Upcoming Events:
Psychedelics and Our Sense of Self: Implications for the Treatment of Depression
June 30, 2020 – 11am EDT / 4pm BST / 5pm CEST
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! ?
The IBR Team