Welcome to the 44th edition of The Weekly Bull Report. Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- Lawmakers in the U.K. have voted to delay Brexit past the upcoming March 29 deadline.?
- North Korea may suspend talks with the U.S., according to the country’s vice foreign minister. Kim Jong-un will soon decide whether to resume nuclear tests.
- In a rebuke to Trump, the Senate – including 12 Republicans – voted to pass legislation that would reverse his national emergency declaration.
- The history of the Irish Border: From Plantation to Brexit. ?
- Riding around with Beto O’Rourke as he comes to grips with a presidential run.
- How lobbying has changed in Trump’s Washington.
- Tesla unveiled its Model Y in Los Angeles, the latest in its line of electric cars. Available next year with a base price of $47,000. ?
- Brexit: pros and cons of leaving the EU.
- The marijuana industry is the fastest-growing job market in the country.
- How Puerto Rico’s financial storm is washing over the mainland. ?
- Presidential hopeful Cory Booker is dating Rosario Dawson. The actress confirmed the long-rumored relationship. ?
- The CDC is launching its first investigation into e-scooter injuries. ?
- Greta Thunberg nominated for Nobel Peace Prize. She’s 16. ☮
- The inside story of the world’s most dangerous malware. ??
- Psychologists explain why at-home exercise machines like Peloton have what it takes to keep people moving.
- Boeing’s 737 MAX grounded globally. Read why here. ✈
- Amazon gets an edge with its secret squad of PhD economists.
- What Is the Future of Ecommerce? 10 Insights on the Evolution of an Industry.
- Technology: From Copycats to Innovators. Read about it.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Untangling the ties between autism and obsessive-compulsive disorder. Read the story here.
- Could gene therapy cure sickle cell anemia? Watch here.
- Gwyneth Paltrow thinks psychedelics are the next big wellness trend. (For the record, we agree) – More here. ?
- A new discovery upends what we know about viruses. Learn about it here.
- The Placebo Effect – 10 amazing findings.
- How Artificial Intelligence is changing science.
- As the World Wide Web turns 30, a look back at its early skeptics.
- Are eggs good or bad for you? New research rekindles the debate. ?
- Hand-prints on a cave wall, crumbs from a meal: the new science of Neanderthals radically recasts the meaning of humanity.
- Forensic genealogists at Parabon NanoLabs are using DNA databases to solve cold cases faster than anyone could have imagined. But how will their techniques hold up in court?
- The top 50 players in college basketball in 2018–19. Who are they?
- Bob Costas insists that he was not fired by NBC.
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Harvest to buy Verano for US$850M in largest U.S. pot deal. ? (video here)
- Levi’s new line of hemp clothing. Check it out. ?(Get your allocation request in for upcoming IPO)
- Billionaire Peltz joins Aurora Cannabis ($ACB) to advise on partnerships, expansion.
- SEC alleges Volkswagen ‘perpetrated a massive fraud’ and repeatedly lied to US investors. More here.
- Ethereum Won’t Fail: Joseph Lubin.
- China’s US$59 billion internet and technology bubble will trap many private-equity investors when it bursts, Bain says.
- Update on Anvia Holdings ($ANVV) since it hit the IBR Radar. Up 370%.
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.”
- “Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
? Word Of The Week:
- Perpetuity (per·pe·tu·i·ty) n.pl.
1. Time without end; eternity.
2. The quality or condition of being perpetual. E.g. “The terms of the agreement remain in effect in perpetuity.”
❔ Did You Know:
- Fact: Did you know lemons contain more sugar than strawberries? ??
- On this day in history: March 17, 1756 – St. Patrick’s Day was celebrated in New York City for the first time. The event took place at the Crown and Thistle Tavern. ?
? A Must Watch & Listen:
- Super interesting PBS documentary concerning the disparity between those who have advanced technology and those who still live primitively. Watch it here. ?
- Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell: The 60 Minutes interview.
- Bloomberg Opinion columnist Barry Ritholtz interviews Matthew Granade, chief market intelligence officer at Point72 Asset Management. Listen here.
? Books We Are Reading:
- Liar’s Poker – By Michael Lewis
The time was the 1980s. The place was Wall Street. This book is the culmination of those heady, frenzied years – a behind-the-scenes look at a unique and turbulent time in American business.
- The Fifth Risk – By Michael Lewis
What are the consequences if the people given control over our government have no idea how it works?
- From the Ground Up: A Journey to Reimagine the Promise of America – By Howard Schultz
NYT Bestseller! From the longtime CEO and chairman of Starbucks, a bold, dramatic work about the new responsibilities that leaders, businesses, and citizens share in American society today—as viewed through the intimate lens of one man’s life and work.
? Feel Good Sunday:
- Whale gulps in a diver, nearly swallows him. Watch it here. ?
? One Liners:
- “My broker and I are working on a retirement plan. Unfortunately, it’s his!” ?
* We will be attending for the 5th year, the most valuable 1 day investor conference of 2019 taking place in London April 06. Get your free tickets by using our special coupon code: IBR19. The link to the event is here. We look forward to meeting you! *
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! ??
The IBR Team