Welcome to the 54th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Wishing everybody a very happy and healthy Memorial Day weekend.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
? Interesting Articles & News:
- Volodymyr Zelensky: Comedian to be sworn in as Ukrainian president. ?
- EU citizens will elect a new European Parliament this week, a process that will change the leadership of major European Union institutions.
- India’s Modi made the election a referendum on his leadership – and it paid off.
- British PM Theresa May resigns. Read more here. ??
- Donald Trump visits Japan. The US president will be the first foreign leader to meet the country’s new emperor, Naruhito.
- Weak spending overshadows Japan’s surprise first quarter economic expansion. ?
- Sears’ seven decades of self-destruction.
- The rand is going digital – and the Reserve Bank is open for suggestions.
- Trump vs. New York Times: the executive editor’s perspective.
- Canadian Arctic fossils are oldest known fungus on Earth.
- What Ancient Romans used instead of toilet paper. ?
- Facebook plans to launch ‘GlobalCoin’ currency in 2020.
- Women in tech: GGV Capital’s Jenny Lee reflects on investing in China’s technology market.
- The race is on to build a better battery. How? ?
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Using new gene-editing technology we could treat, and possibly eradicate, thousands of diseases. ✂
- At $2.1 million, newly approved Novartis gene therapy will be world’s most expensive drug.?
- In low, pharmaceutical-grade doses, methamphetamines may actually repair and protect the brain. ?
- The new Statue of Liberty Museum is a quiet paean to America’s embrace of immigrants – but what is there to celebrate?
- Daniel Defoe’s hard-earned lessons on business and life. Good and valuable read.
- Something is changing in the way people eat at home. ?
- How Sackler became the most toxic name in philanthropy.
CANNABIS & MAGIC MUSHROOMS
- Study finds CBD effective in treating heroin addiction.
- “Dude, where’s my regulatory framework?” As CBD gains popularity, Washington struggles to keep up. (Will lead to a good healthy and much needed shakeout in the industry)
- “Mom and Dad, I’m going to cannabis school.” Legal cannabis added over 64,000 jobs last year – more than any other industry in the US. ??
- Aurora Cannabis and UFC® join forces to advance CBD Research, Education, and Product Development.
- Canada pledging US $24.5 Million to fund research on Cannabis and Health.
- Can China seize a US $4.4 Billion opportunity in the medical cannabis?
- Toronto Raptors headed to NBA Finals after thrilling win over Bucks. ?
- Lewis Hamilton wins Monaco Grand Prix. ?
- Valencia stun Barcelona to win Copa del Rey.⚽ (Will Barca be looking for a new coach?)
- Former NFL players die at a faster rate than other professional athletes, study finds. ?
? Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Anderson Cooper reports on how Bitcoin was started, where it may go and people who have ridden the cryptocurrency roller coaster.
- Horizons unveils higher-risk leveraged, inverse cannabis ETFs.
- The opening of a canal in 1848 led to the birth of modern financial derivatives, and the early demise of some of the men who traded them.
- Biohaven ($BHVN) seeks to fill gap in treatment of Alzheimer’s symptoms with troriluzole. (We first wrote about Biohaven 3 years ago as a private company with a $3.5M valuation. Today, Biohaven trades with a market cap of $2.8 Billion)
? Stocks on our / the IBR radar
- Therma Bright Inc. (TSXV: THRM)?
- City View Green Holdings Inc. (CSE: $CVGR)?
- Callitas Therapeutics ($MPHMF)?
- Wuhan General ($WUHN)?
- Portage Biotech ($PTGEF) is ready for round two. (A $1000 investment at our initial call of 0.03 is now worth over $90,000 in 4 years) ?
- FlooidCX Corp ($FLCX) – Breaking out nicely. ?
? Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.” – Plato
- “Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.” – Plato
? Word Of The Week:
- Plethora n. A superabundance; an excessive amount or number
E.g. “Upon returning from the trip, she had a plethora of calls to make.”
❔ Did You Know:
- Did you know spaghetto, confetto, and graffito are the singular forms of spaghetti, confetti, and graffiti? ?
- On this day in history: May 26, 1896 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average was first published. The average price of the 12 initial stocks was US $40.94. General Electric is the only company still in existence and trading under original name. ?
? A Must Watch & Listen:
- The best business documentaries to watch this weekend. Great list! ?
- Life hacks from Marcus Aurelius: How stoicism can help us. Really interesting listen. ?
? Books We Are Reading:
- Upheaval: Turning Points for Nations in Crisis – Jared Diamond
- Nine Pints: A Journey Through the Money, Medicine, and Mysteries of Blood – Rosse George
- The Future of Capitalism: Facing the New Anxieties – Paul Collier
? One Liners:
- If a train station is where the train stops, what is a workstation?
- What hair color do they put on the driver’s licenses of bald men?
- What was the best thing before sliced bread? Check out who actually invented this popular food.
? Upcoming Events:
- Master Investor in focus: Investing in the European Cannabis & CBD Market
June 27, 2019 – London, England
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! ??
The IBR Team
P.S. IBR subscriber Laura signed up just 30 days ago and earned over 1,000€ renting out a room in her flat! – Don’t miss out… Sign up by clicking here: www.airbnb.com, get your listing published and start earning a significant second income. ??