Welcome to the 220th edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Next week, we will not publish IBR. Jeff will be very busy this upcoming week in Johannesburg announcing the new M2Bio Sciences and EFC partnership.🥊🥋So much behind the scenes remarkable work to be shared. It will be broadcast live on television and across many media outlets globally. 📺
Here’s a shortlist of the content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
🤔 Interesting Articles & News:
- Italy’s move to the right shakes Europe’s political elites as Giorgia Meloni readies to govern.
- Biden admin quietly makes reversal on Student Loan Forgiveness Program, Scales back eligibility. ⚖
- Banks in Lebanon have shut down for nearly a week amid fears of a bank run.🏦
- The wealthiest people in the U.S. are poorer than a year ago—and the cutoff to make the list fell for the first time since the Great Recession.
- Amazon to close 4 of its 5 US call centers, shifts to work-from-home, after closing 44 warehouses, halting construction on 8 office towers. 🏢🏭
- Morgan Stanley warns of something worse than a ‘Normal Recession’.
- What Canada’s largest art heist reveals about the art world’s shady side.🖼️
- ‘The Daily Show’ will continue sans Trevor Noah, despite its low ratings.
- Exploring the root of what ails us. 📖 👁
- Electric vehicles ‘Laughable’ Proposition for at least a decade says expert.🔌
- Steakholder Foods unveils its new, highly marbled 3D Printed beef cuts.
- AI-based screening method could boost speed of new drug discovery.💊
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- New discovery suggests a novel strategy against harmful inflammation.
- How are inflammation, aging, and diet related? The systemic regulatory network is described for the first time. 👴
- Keys to keeping your brain healthy.🧠 🗝
- The predictive power of blood: Metabolomic profiling reveals the risk of multiple diseases all at once.🩸
- Two large observational studies published in The BMJ highlight the dangers of a diet rich in ultra-processed foods (UPFs). 🍟🍔
- Strong link between gut bacteria and metabolites.
- Sugary drinks are linked to obesity-related cancer deaths.🍹
- What’s this ‘longevity’ diet, and will it really make you live longer?
- Apremilast may have some cardiometabolic benefits in patients with psoriasis.
- USDA clears purple tomato engineered to fight cancer. 🍅
- Sugar alcohols like Xylitol are neither sugar nor alcohol and may increase your risk of breast cancer.
- Heart failure drug a new treatment option for alcoholism? ♥
- Large-scale study finds ground coffee linked to longer lifespan.☕
- The impact of coffee subtypes on incident cardiovascular disease, arrhythmias, and mortality.
- New study suggests your liver is an ageless wonder. 🌌
CANNABIS & PSYCHEDELICS
- Remission of metastatic breast cancer may have been due to use of cannabis oil and magic mushrooms.
- Non-psychedelic compound has similar antidepressant effect as psychedelics in mice. 🐭
- Psychedelics without the trip: a potential breakthrough for depression treatment.
- Endocannabinoids may defend the body when it’s being threatened. 🥋
- The Economist Podcast: The psychedelic renaissance in medicine.
- Canopy Growth quits Canadian cannabis retail business.
- Virtual drug screening identifies possible new antidepressants in LSD-like molecules. 🧬
- Perez Wins Singapore Grand Prix As Verstappen Seventh 🏁🏎
- Manchester City VS Manchester United: Hat-tricks all around! ⚽⚽⚽
- London Marathon: Despite faceplant 🤦♀️ Ethiopia’s Yalemzerf Yehualaw becomes youngest ever London Marathon winner!
💲 Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
Tuesday, October 4 – Acuity Brands (AYI) and SMART Global (SGH).
Wednesday, October 5 – Helen of Troy (HELE), Lamb Weston (LW).
Thursday, October 6 – Conagra (CAG), Constellation Brands (STZ), McCormick (MKC), and Levi Strauss (LEVI).
Friday, October 7 – Tilray (NASDAQ:TLRY).
IPOs expected to start trading this week:
Quiet week… 🤫
What Moved the Markets:
Dow -2.9% to 28,726. S&P 500 -2.9% to 3,586. Nasdaq -2.7% to 10,576. Russell 2000 -0.7% to 1,667. CBOE Volatility Index +5.7% to 31.62.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples -4%. Utilities -8.8%. Financials -2.4%. Telecom -3%. Healthcare -1.4%. Industrials -2.4%. Information Technology -4.2%. Materials -0.7%. Energy +1.8%. Consumer Discretionary -2.4%.
London -1.8% to 6,894. France -0.4% to 5,762. Germany -1.4% to 12,114. Japan -4.5% to 25,937. China -2.1% to 3,024. Hong Kong -4% to 17,223. India -1.2% to 57,427.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI +1.3% to $79.74/bbl. Gold +0.8% to $1,668.3/oz. Natural Gas -2.4% to 6.826. Ten-Year Bond Yield -0.2 bps to 3.829.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD +1.15%. USD/JPY +1.03%. GBP/USD +2.91%. Bitcoin +2.4%. Litecoin -0.1%. Ethereum +0.9%. XRP -2.5%.
Top S&P 500 Gainers
Biogen (BIIB) +35%. Marathon Petroleum (MPC) +9%. Valero Energy (VLO) +6%. Phillips 66 (PSX) +6%. Las Vegas Sands (LVS) +6%.
Top S&P 500 Losers
Carnival Corporation & plc (CCL) -21%. CarMax (KMX) -17%. V.F. (VFC) -16%. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings (NCLH) -16%. Royal Caribbean Cruises (RCL) -15%.
🎯 Stocks On Our Radar:
- M2Bio Sciences (OTC: MRES) (lots and lots of updates forthcoming) – Looks good 😉
- AgeX (NYSE: AGE) 📈 – $3.00 target
- Portage Biotech (NASDAQ: PRTG) 📈 – $45 target
- Agronomics Ltd (OTC: AGNMF) 📈
- Regent Pacific Group Ltd. (HKG: 0575) 📈
- ThreeD Capital Inc. (IDK.CN) (OTC: IDKFF) 📈
🏆 Quotes That Inspire Us:
“If you are not taking care of your customer, your competitor will.” ― Bob Hooey
📖 Word Of The Week:
gingerly – [ jin-jer-lee ] – with great care or caution; warily.
“As the full moon hangs in the frosty sky, hundreds of dancers file in darkness toward the foot of the craggy peaks at the head of the valley. Frozen tundra crunches underfoot as dancing shoes step gingerly over ice-covered rivulets.”
❔ Did You Know:
The oldest bank still in existence is Banca Monte Dei Paschi di Siena, headquartered in Siena, Italy, which has been operating continuously since 1472. Until the end of 2022, the oldest bank still in operation was the Banco di Napoli headquartered in Naples, Italy, which had been operating since 1463. 🏧
📚 Books We Are Reading:
5 inspiring books top women leaders:
- #GirlBoss by Sophia Amoruso
- Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes
- Shark Tales: How I Turned $1,000 Into a Billion Dollar Business by Barbara Corcoran
- Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis
- Leapfrog: The New Revolution for Women Entrepreneurs by Nathalie Molina Niño
My friend Jack says he can communicate with vegetables. Jack and the beans talk. 🌱
📽 A Must Watch & Listen:
- Barry Ritholtz speaks with entrepreneur and investor Steve Case, who came to prominence as a co-founder of America Online and has spent the last 15 years with Washington-based investment firm Revolution.
- Barry Ritholtz speaks with Albert Wenger, who is a managing partner at Union Square Ventures. Before joining USV, Wenger was the president of del.icio.us as well as an angel investor; he also founded or co-founded several companies. He holds a Ph.D. in information technology from MIT. Listen here.
📆 Upcoming Events:
THE FUNDAMENTALS OF CRYPTOCURRENCIES:
UNDERSTANDING THE OPPORTUNITIES AND PITFALLS
With Sarah Lowther, Master Investor, and Rufus Round, CEO of GlobalBlock
In an economic environment high on uncertainty with markets struggling to keep pace with inflation, Cryptocurrencies are being used by institutional and private investors alike as a hedge to balance out portfolios. As a consequence Cryptocurrencies are increasingly becoming a common part of investor portfolios. Established institutional investors such as Blackrock are now offering access to Bitcoin, while cryptocurrency investment platforms, such as Globalblock are making it more straightforward for private investors to get involved.
While cryptocurrencies are gaining wider acceptance, it remains the case that many investors simply do not understand them. Inevitably this prevents investors from understanding if and how they can or should be including cryptocurrencies in their own portfolios. In this webinar, Sarah Lowther will interview Rufus Round, CEO of GlobalBlock to answer your questions and prove a better understanding of the fundamentals of cryptocurrencies.
20 October 2022 | 1pm | Online
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! 💪
The IBR Team
All content provided by Internet Bull Report is for informational and educational purposes only and is not meant to represent trade or investment recommendations.