Welcome to the 71st edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Shana Tova and Happy New Year!
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past 7 days…
🤔 Interesting Articles & News:
- Jacques Chirac: Former French president dies aged 86.
- Sinners in the hands of an angry Greta Thunberg. (we would love to hear your take, send us a message)
- Graham prepares Trump defence as impeachment fury intensifies.
- British travel firm Thomas Cook collapses, stranding hundreds of thousands. ✈
- Jeff Bezos becomes the first CEO to break his pledge to dump the ‘shareholder value’ model.
- Inside the ups and downs of the VC J-Curve.
- To pay attention, the brain uses filters, not a spotlight. 🔦
- The “marketplace of ideas” looks as corrupt in 2019 as the “free market” did in 2008.
- 43 Percent of white students Harvard admits are legacies, jocks, or the kids of donors and faculty.
- Most Americans agree climate change is a crisis. (we agree as well, rational solutions must be found and implemented)
- More on WeWork here and here.
- Artificial Intelligence 50: America’s most promising artificial intelligence companies.
- Google says it’s achieved quantum supremacy, a world-first.
- To protect against cyber attacks, companies need to address data manipulation. Here’s how.
- What is CrowdStrike, the company Trump mentioned during his Ukraine call?
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- Herpes vaccine to be tested in humans after best result yet in animals. 💉
- Cannabis-based drug for childhood epilepsy approved for use in UK.💊
- Paging Dr. Robot: Path breaking surgeon prefers to do his cutting by remote control.
- Will there ever be a cure for chronic pain?
- “Ultra Processed” foods seem to trigger neural signals that make us want more and more calories, unlike other foods in the Western diet. (so incredibly bad for you)
- The Dana-Farber Cancer Institute researcher is developing cancer therapeutics based on how the physical structure of DNA contributes to the disease.
- The 100 best films of the 21st century. 📽
- Ikejime: a humane way to kill fish that makes them tastier. 🐟
CANNABIS & MAGIC MUSHROOMS
- Canadian cannabis producer sales estimates ‘too aggressive’: CIBC. (we agree but remain very bullish on the sector)
- The truth about looking in the mirror on psychedelics.
- Lots of athletes say CBD is a better painkiller. Is it? 💊
- Cannabis research pioneer hopes latest discovery is not overlooked — again.
- CBD shows therapeutic effects on psychosis. 🧠
- The 21 most powerful women in the business of sports.
- Jennifer Lopez and Shakira to headline Super Bowl 2020 half-time show.
- A new study tracking gym users has honed in one key factor that is related to how often they visit: their “planfulness”. 🤸♂️
💲 Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- Hedge funds cash in on the crisis at Thomas Cook: More than 10% of shares were being ‘shorted’ as the holiday firm collapsed.
- Nike (NYSE:NKE) surges to all-time high after the company’s earnings ‘crushed it’. 👟📈 (in 1980, you could have purchased shares at $0.15, today the shares are trading at $93, buy and hold does work)
- Peleton IPO gets whacked. More here. 🚲 (still incredibly overvalued)
- LATAM Airlines Group S.A. (NYSE: LTM) shares climbed 31% to $11.84 after the company announced Delta Air Lines will invest $1.9 billion for a 20% stake in the company.
🎯 Stocks On Our Radar:
- Therma Bright Inc. (TSXV: THRM)
- City View Green Holdings Inc. (CSE: CVGR)
- Callitas Therapeutics (OTC: MPHMF)
- Wuhan General (OTC: WUHN)
- Portage Biotech (OTC: PTGEF)
- FlooidCX Corp (OTC: FLCX)
- Plyzer Technologies (OTC: PLYZ)
🏆 Quotes That Inspire Us:
- It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult task which, more than anything else, will affect its successful outcome. – William James
📖 Word Of The Week:
- Eschew (verb) 1. To avoid as a point of habit. 2. To shun or abstrain from something for moral reasons:
“She schewn alcohol and drugs in favor of a healthy, low-key lifestyle.”
❔ Did You Know:
- Fleas can jump 130 times higher than their height. In human terms, that is equivalent to a 6-foot person jumping 780 feet into the air. Or, an average human being able to jump on the roof of a 60 story building. 🦟
📽 A Must Watch & Listen:
- Hate broccoli? Why your DNA might be to blame. (Most interesting 32 minute Wharton podcast)
📚 Books We Are Reading:
5 Books to read that will change your outlook on life for the better:
- Thirteen Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do – Amy Morin
- How to Stop Worrying and Start Living – Dale Carnegie
- How Will You Measure Your Life? – Clayton M. Christensen, James Allworth and Karen Dillon
- Finding Your Element – Ken Robinson
- Emotional Intelligence – Daniel Goleman
And one very cool book we highly recommend: Pleased to Meet Me – Bill Sullivan.
🤣 One Liners:
📆 Upcoming Events:
- Following the success of last year’s event, the one-day masterclass; ‘Investing in the age of longevity‘ is back for 2019.
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to get your discount!
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! 💪
The IBR Team
P.S. Thirty nine IBR subscribers have signed up and are hosting with Airbnb! 🏘 What are you waiting for? Sign up by clicking here: www.airbnb.com, get your listing published and start earning a significant second income – And meet new people 🤝
P.P.S. Two online banks you should deal with:
- N26 – www.n26.com
- Revolut – revolut.com (sign up with our link and get a free card for awesome exchange rates abroad!)