Welcome to the 122nd edition of The Weekly Bull Report.
Here’s a short list of content we found interesting and informative over the past week…
🤔 Interesting Articles & News:
- Ren Zhiqiang, a critic of Chinese leader Xi Jinping, sentenced to 18 years on corruption charges. 🇨🇳
- Florida’s Governor lifts all COVID-19 restrictions on businesses statewide.
- Canada ‘bets the farm’ on big spending as second wave threatens economic recovery.
- What two billion people pay attention to is still in the hands of a few companies.
- The cheating scandal that ripped the poker world apart. ♠
- The Italian Mafia is on TikTok.
- Bruised egos, gobs of money, and the bitter feud that took down Cellino & Barnes, New York’s absurdly ubiquitous accident law firm.
- What ‘net-zero carbon’ really means for cities.
- Meet the secretive billionaire who makes McDonalds McNuggets, Burger King’s Impossible Whoppers and much more.
- IBM publishes its quantum roadmap, says it will have a 1,000-qubit machine in 2023.
- A.I. researchers are turning to neuroscience to build smarter, more powerful neural networks.
MEDICINE & SCIENCE
- UK at ‘critical point’ over Covid-19, top scientists to tell public.
- The race to redesign sugar.
- This scientist read a paper every day for 899 days.
- Pesco-Mediterranean diet, fasting ideal to reduce CVD.
- Cannabinoids may help prevent colon cancer, says mice study.
- Is aging a disease you can reverse? A look at the science behind the longevity movement.
CANNABIS & MUSHROOMS
- Who will benefit from psychedelic medicine? 🍄
- Ann Arbor moves to decriminalize psychedelic mushrooms, plants.
- New FDA guidance will make it easier to approve CBD-based medicines. 🌿
- Confessions of a surfing on magic mushrooms first-timer.
- Researchers say THC from cannabis may treat ARDS, according to study on mice.
- A bet on magic mushrooms made one investor $316 million richer.
- Post-Psychedelic reductions in experiential avoidance are associated withdecreases in depression severity and suicidal ideation.
- The potential benefits of psychedelic therapy.
- The fungal evangelist who would save the bees. 🐝
- Lionel Messi‘s relationship with FC Barcelona crumbles even more as he slams the club for its treatment of Luis Suarez. ⚽
💲 Noteworthy Stocks & Assets:
- The big IPO of the upcoming week is Palantir Technologies (NYSE: PLTR), expected to start trading on the NYSE September 30. Likely a very good pop in this.
- Nikola (NASDAQ: NKLA) shares tumbled around 50% after founder Trevor Milton stepped down as executive chairman and member of the company’s board.
Weekly Market Movement Wrap
Dow -1.8% to 27,174. S&P 500 -0.6% to 3,298. Nasdaq +1.1% to 10,914. Russell 2000 -4.1% to 1,474. CBOE Volatility Index +2.1% to 26.38.
S&P 500 Sectors
Consumer Staples -0.8%. Utilities -0.4%. Financials -5.3%. Telecom -1.7%. Healthcare -3.6%. Industrials -4.%. Information Technology -0.3%. Materials -5.4%. Energy -8.5%. Consumer Discretionary -0.3%.
London -2.7% to 5,843. France -5.% to 4,730. Germany -4.9% to 12,469. Japan -0.7% to 23,205. China -3.6% to 3,219. Hong Kong -5.% to 23,235. India -3.8% to 37,389.
Commodities and Bonds
Crude Oil WTI -2.6% to $40.05/bbl. Gold -5.% to $1,864.2/oz. Natural Gas +3.9% to 2.127. Ten-Year Treasury Yield +0.% to 139.63.
Forex and Cryptos
EUR/USD -1.74%. USD/JPY +1.01%. GBP/USD -1.3%. Bitcoin -2.3%. Litecoin -4.2%. Ethereum -8.4%. Ripple -3.4%.
Top Stock Gainers
Spi Energy Co Ltd (NASDAQ:SPI) +776%.
CBAK Energy Technology (OTC:CBAT) +163%.
Sunworks (NASDAQ:SUNW) +148%.
Polar Power (NASDAQ:POLA) +68%.
Urban One (NASDAQ:UONE) +67%.
Top Stock Losers
Wave Life Sciences (NASDAQ:WVE) -53%.
Golar LNG (NASDAQ:GLNG) -51%.
Adicet Bio (NASDAQ:ACET) -48%.
AC Immune SA (NASDAQ:ACIU) -47%.
Nikola (NASDAQ:NKLA) -43%.
🎯 Stocks On Our Radar:
- Biohaven Pharmaceutical (NYSE: BHVN)
- AgeX (NYSE:AGE)
- Portage Biotech (OTC: PTGEF)
- Wuhan General Group (OTC: WUHN) – (News from this week)
- Agronomics Ltd (LON: ANIC)
🎁 Dr Anna’s Corner:
- Our pick of the week: Echo Dot – Smart speaker with Alexa
🏆 Quotes That Inspire Us:
- “There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page and closing the book.” – Josh Jameson
📖 Word Of The Week:
- Facetious adj. Treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
❔ Did You Know:
- 11% of people are left handed ✋
📽 A Must Watch & Listen:
- Bary Ritholtz interviews: Pedro Earp, Chief Marketing Officer at AB InBev. (Excellent listen)
- Thinking Outside the Bud: Bruce Eckfeldt interviews David Feldman, Partner, Hiller PC. (Excellent interview on cannabis)
📚 Books We Are Reading:
5 must-read books on the psychedelic experience:
- Am I Dreaming? The New Science of Consciousness and How Altered States Reboot the Brain – James Kingsland
- Drugged: The Science and Culture Behind Psychotropic Drugs – Richard J Miller
- Hallucinogens: A Reader – Edited by Charles Grob
- Plants of the Gods: Their Sacred, Healing, and Hallucinogenic Powers – Richard Evans Schultes, Albert Hoffman, and Christian Ratsch
- Psychedelic Medicine: The Healing Powers of LSD, MDMA, Psilocbyin, and Ayahuasca – Dr. Richard Louis Miller
- If you text me “we need to talk”, I’m gonna reply “yes we do”. Now we’re both stressed.
📆 Upcoming Events:
- Saturday, 5 December 2020, 09:15 – 17:30 GMT
- Business Design Centre, 52 Upper Street, London N1 0QH, United Kingdom
Our very best wishes for a brilliant upcoming week! 💪
The IBR Team